September 2011 Moms
Options

Convertible car seat vs. travel set

I need help with my registry!  Right now, I'm registered for a convertible car seat that will transition with LO from rear to forward-facing, but I've been himming and hawing about whether or not it's the right choice.  Is it better to have the travel set (infant car seat that converts to carrier and sits in a stroller) and then spend the money later on the forward-facing seat?  Can you buy a 2nd seat/base for a 2nd car?  I'm going for what will be most useful and give me the most bang for the buck.  TIA.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Convertible car seat vs. travel set

• Options
    I would never be comfortable putting a newborn in a convertible carseat...it's just not snug enough. The infant carrier is the best idea and easiest to use (plus in winter you can just put a bundle me over it and not have to get baby all dressed up) in the first few months.

We used our infant carrier for 8 ish months, then put DS in a convertible carseat. We got a Britax Marathon that can rear face for an extended time (new recommendations are rear facing for at least 2 years) he will be able to use this carseat for quite awhile, then move on to a booster.

Yes you can buy an extra base for the infant carrier, this makes it very easy ...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was given the advice to never wake a sleeping baby.....meaning that babies will most likely fall asleep on most car trips.  If you have the infant carrier, you simply lift the carrier out and the baby stays asleep.  Much easier to have this carrier to transport them to and from the stroller as well.  I looked into the convertible for infants and it was significantly more expensive than the convertiable seat I put on for my child after the travel seat. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Are you planning to have more kids in the next few years? If so, I'd definitely get an infant seat (with or without stroller - there are lots of strollers that aren't part of a set, but can be used with infant seats), then buy a convertible later on. Infant seats are more convenient when they are tiny, and usually fit babies better. Plus, you can use the infant seat again when you have your next LO. You can get a 2nd base for another car, and it's much cheaper than buying a whole second carseat.

FYI, though, if you do buy an infant seat, you will still have to buy a convertible carseat. Your LO will still need to be rear-facing after he/she outgrows the infant seat (usually you move them to a convertible once they start sitting well). So with that in mind, I wouldn't worry too much about the weight limits on the infant seats - for example, the Graco Snugride with the 22lb weight limit is cheaper and lighter than the one with the 30lb weight limit, so it's a better value to get that one, then transition to a rear-facing convertible once your LO is ready.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    you will need an infant seat and a good convertible that will last until they can be in a booster.  keep in mind that a lot of hospitals won't let you leave until they see baby in the infant seat strapped in correctly.  they won't let you do this with a convertible.  for the convertible, get one with a high shell so that it will last you. 
  • Options

This whole thing caused a lot of stress for DH and myself, and I'm glad that we were able to finally figure out what we wanted to do. This is what we are doing:

We are getting a Safety 1st infant car seat (S1 onBoard35 Air) with an extra base for DH's car. For the stroller part of that, we got the Safety 1st Clic It univresal stroller frame to use with the infant car seat. We are also getting an Evenflo convertible car seat for when Cael grows out of infant car seat. The convertible car seat we're getting is a 4-in-one infant rearfacing/forward facing/toddler/booster. When he grows out of the infant car seat, we will no longer be able to use the Clic It stroller frame, so we're also getting the CM Baby Jogger stroller for use after he's out of the infant car seat. For us, the travel stroller systems were just too bulky for me, and too heavy (I'm petite).

I hope that helps, and I hope you can figure out what you want to do. We have spent many MANY hours in BRU just trying everything, and we've gone back and forth several times with what we wanted to do. Good luck! And have fun with it :).

• Options

You want an infant seat, trust me!

DS *always* fell asleep in the car, and the infant seat was invaluable for being able to take him inside without waking him. Plus, infant seats are designed for infants -- most convertibles say that they're rated from 5 lbs and up, but most just aren't designed to fit a newborn properly. Britax seats specifically are infamous for this issue.

The added bonus of being able to take LO into a restaurant or friend's house or wherever and not have to hold them the entire time. Convenience.

It seems like a waste of money, but it's so worth it for the convenience. We had a Graco Snugride and switched to the Britax Marathon around 6 months. DS is almost 18 months and still rear facing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I actually asked this exact same question like a week ago so you might get some helpful info by checking out that thread as well...

Here is the link...hope it works  :)

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/53736547.aspx

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    valzeevalzee member
    We are getting an infant car seat with a snap n go stroller, then we'll convert to a convertible seat later. We're not going to get the full travel system, it seems too bulky to me.
  • Options

We're going with the Graco Snugride 30 and the Graco stroller frame (rather than the full travel system). Then we're going to buy the convertible seat and a bigger stroller (probably the City Mini) that we can use after 6 months. We also thought about getting the infant carseat adapter for the City Mini and just using that, but some reviews said that it made the stroller sort of bulky and heavy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"