Attachment Parenting
Options

Bedsharing safety question

We have been trying really hard to get DS to sleep in the crib, but it seems that the harder we try, the more he ends up back in bed with us.  Anyway, since there is no end to the bedsharing in sight, I had a few questions about safety with an older infant.

1)  At what age is it generally considered safe to have baby lay between you and DH?  In the NCSS Pantley states that the baby should be separated from dad, but DS is moving around enough that I would feel better if he would be between us.  Also, the past two nights he has refused to nurse back to sleep and ended up falling asleep only after turning towards DH and holding DH's finger (so adorable!).

2)  What have you done to keep baby safely in the bed?  Did you move it onto the floor?  Are there safe bed rails for a 6 month old infant?  I really don't want to put the bed on the floor because of the dust, and ultimately because we are trying to move away from bedsharing.

3)  When is it ok to sleep with pillows and blankets?

Thanks! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bedsharing safety question

• Options
    I don't trust my DH as he is a pretty deep sleeper so DD always sleeps on my side.  When she was smaller we had a bed rail, but now that she's bigger and likes to fan her body out we have the crib side-cared and it's super.  I also like having the crib attached so that when we decide to transition to her crib she will be used to sleeping in or near in it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

We had a bed rail similar to this and DD almost always slept between me and the rail when she was little. As she got older (around a year) she would climb over me to lay between us. Do what you feel comfortable with and your husband. If he is a heavy sleeper it may be best not to.

I kept blankets below my waist and always turned my pillow in a weird direction so it wasn't near DD.

The best thing we did for safety IMO was having a video monitor. Knowing the rail was there she wasn't going to fall out and I could see her on the monitor if she woke up before I was in bed.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies!  I've been having a hard time listening to my own instinct, primarily because I had always said I would never bedshare.  I think I am going to go ahead and get the rail.  We still want to transition DS to a crib, but in the mean time it will be good to feel a bit more secure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"