Infertility Veterans

need PIO/IM shot advice

AF showed up this morning so I go in Friday for CD4 monitoring for my FET.  If I get the go ahead I will have to take my first prometrium (i think that is the name) shot Friday night.  This is my first time doing IM shots.  Some how I have avoided doing these after a year of cycles. 

So I feel like a total newbie and I know it has been asked so many times before, but can you ladies give me your best PIO/IM shot tips?  DH won't be doing the shots so I need advice for self admin the shots.  TIA!

And I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.  I just got back from my trip yesterday and I had a great time.  I got to relax and drink wine all weekend.  it was exactly what I needed before starting up again.  Now back to the crazy. 

~Lauren~
**SAIF always welcome.**
After 2+ years, 3 losses, 3 surgeries, 2 IVFs and 1 FET our little girl is here.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
my read shelf:
Lauren (babystinkbreath)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Read in 2011: 56/55
Read in 2012: 31/30
Read in 2013: 1/25
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: need PIO/IM shot advice

• I did my own PIO injection the other night.  The anticipation beforehand was about an 11 but the pain was about 1.  It wasn't a big deal at all and all the worry was for nothing.  

You Tube has some great vidoes that give directions. 

My advice would be to gently press the needle in.  Don't stab it in--it will slide in slowly and it won't hurt at all.  I use 25guage needles for PIO.  It takes a bit longer to get the meds out but it's worth it since you're not using a dagger.  :)

TTC Since 10/08 4 IUIs=BFNx4
    IVF#1=BFP!! Twins!!
    Bradley and Billy born and lost on 2/2/11 at 19w2d due to pPROM/PTL. I miss you, little angels.
    IVF#2=BFN
    IVF#3=c/p IVF#4=Empty Follicle Syndrome; 1 mature, fertilized, & made it to blast. 5dt of "the lone ranger" on 9/6. Please stick, little one! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i would ask your nurse to use permanent marker and mark your butt where the shots need to go and then do them in front of mirror.

the youtube tutorials are good too.

GL CUTIE

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, It empties today of its strength. ~Corrie ten Boom
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow. ~Mary Anne Radmacher (thank you beadinglady)

It's been a long journey. TTC since 9/06. multiple IUI's and IVF's and 4 m/c's. IVF#3 = BFP, twins, induced at 34w6d due to baby b passing away (no explanation). Delivered on 35w1d, Baby A - baby girl, and Baby B - baby boy, our little angel.
    MTHFR A1298C & C677T, Immune Issues and Factor II
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it hurts less when my hip/butt is warm. So, I sit on the heating pad for about 10min before the shot and hold the filled syringe in my hand at the same time to warm up the meds a bit. Then, after the shot, I sit on the heating pad for another 10 minutes. I had to do it myself a couple of times. I would twist around in front of the mirror and do it. It actually hurt less when I did it myself.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I did all my own PIO shots for both cycles and I'll tell you what I did.  I iced the area for a few minutes first, then stuck the needle in right in the hip area (almost as high and behind the hip).  Afterwards I just rubbed for a minute and things were fine.  The PIO shots hurt way less than the menopur shots.  Good luck!  The first one is the worst, but you'll be fine!
  • imagetheworms:

i would ask your nurse to use permanent marker and mark your butt where the shots need to go and then do them in front of mirror.

This! Also, Mh did my shots so I don't have any experience with self-injections, but I can tell you my usual routine for IM shots...

I sit on an ice pack for half and hour prior to the shot. While on the ice pack, I make sure to focus my weight on the spot where the injection will be. Mh does the shot while I lie on my stomach taking deep breaths in and out. I try and focus on my breathing and not on what he's doing. After the shot, he rubs the area for a few min while I'm on my stomach. Then I turn to lie on my side (so that my weight is on the opposite hip) and he continues to massage for a few more min. Then we apply a heating pad for about 20 min.

Since I started doing these steps, I have very little (if any) pain from the shots. What I've found is that the rubbing isn't as important as the heat. GL!

We also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And HOPE does not dissappoint.
    Romans 5:3-5

~Matt and Jen~
    Married August 26, 2006
    TTC since June 2008
    Severe MFI
    IVF #1 Feb. 2011 = BFN
    IVF #2 (Long Lupron) May 2011 = BFP!!!
    Our sweet little girl, born January 26, 2012

Time for #2!

IVF #1 (Long Lupron) July 2013 = BFP!!!

Beta #1 (8/1) 203! Beta #2 (8/8) 3,677! 1st u/s scheduled for 8/15!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"