Parenting after 35

Big Boy Bed Transition Already!

DS made the transition to his big boy bed already!  He did great, much better than DD who took about 2-3 wks.  One rough night without side rails and once we got the bed rails, he was fine.  I think the first rough night and naptime was compounded by him not feeling well with his sinus infection breaking up.

And one stroller sold (one we got from a neighbor and it caused a lot of drama) and one to go that I think will sell in the next day or two!  And my MIL is coming into town and is going to help sort through baby clothes to give away and help me with the Great Toy Purge.  Still a little pang of "really? no more babies?" but overall woohoo!

DD -- 5YO
DS -- 3YO

Re: Big Boy Bed Transition Already!

• WOOOO!  We set up M's toddler bed thinking she'd sleep there instead of our bed, but she's having none of it.  Sigh.
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • jarbatzjarbatz member
    Congrats!!   So tell me - why did you do the transition now?   And did he go from the crib straight to a regular twin sized bed?   We will be moving DD sometime before #2 comes along - probably around the same age as your DS....and I'm already having anxiety about it.   How did you prepare him for the move? Is he a good sleeper to begin with?
    Me-38, DH - 48 | DD born 3/17/10 | BFP 4/29/11 - M/C 5/31/11 Blighted Ovum | BFP 12/18/11 CP - 12/27/11 | Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • PeskyPesky member

imagejarbatz:
    Congrats!!   So tell me - why did you do the transition now?   And did he go from the crib straight to a regular twin sized bed?   We will be moving DD sometime before #2 comes along - probably around the same age as your DS....and I'm already having anxiety about it.   How did you prepare him for the move? Is he a good sleeper to begin with?

The current nursery has terrible circulation so I wanted to switch rooms anyway.  We had his bed already downstairs and I needed it out of that area as we are looking to finish out that space in the basement this year.  So voila, transition.  Honestly, if it hadn't gone well, we would've taken the crib and put it in his bedroom with the regular bed.  Would've been crowded for a while but would have worked.  He has a twin bed that has a clubhouse up top (which he and DD love).  DD's bed is a white twin with cubbies in the headboard (nice for the monitor).  

DD's transition took longer -- 2 to 3 wks of us sitting in there quietly, not making eye contact and gradually over time, moving off her bed into a chair, gradually moving the chair to the doorway, right outside the doorway and gradually out of eyesight.  DS was MUCH easier and once we had the bed rails up (so very crib-like and reminiscent of his breathable bumpers) he was fine.  He is a good but not great sleeper.  I kept the area familiar so he had his Elmo that is in his crib, his blankies and blanket, his pillow, his black dog and his twilight turtle, plus his humidifier (so same noises and lights).  With DD, who is more sensitive to start with, we started off reading books to her in the bed and playing in the room a lot.  We started getting her dressed in there and really talked up the bed.  Still had a tough time but it worked out.   just have to do what works.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• so happy to hear the transition went well. we're going to start transitioning R this month.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • M.AmyM.Amy member
    I have my fingers crossed Matt stays in his crib forever! No? Okay for as long as possible. He so loves his crib and I think he will be sad once it is gone.
  • Adrian looooves his crib and so far (fingers crossed), he still hasn't climbed out of it, even though he's close to reaching the 35" tall limit. The only reason I'll transition him sooner is if I get pregnant with #2 within a year. Congrats though!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"