Natural Birth
Options

Another strike against early elective deliveries

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/health/research/31childbirth.html?ref=health

Babies born at 37 weeks are twice as likely to die in the first year of life than babies born at 40 weeks.  I'm not sure if this is true for all babies or just those electively delivered early--I think it's for all births.  But that's a pretty compelling reason why elective inductions or cesareans shouldn't be done until 39-40 weeks. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Another strike against early elective deliveries

• Options
    Thank you for posting this. There was a huge fight on the June board last week regarding the desire for early delivery by choice (not for medically necessary reasons) and I stand by the fact that there is a huge physiological difference between 37 and 40 weeks gestation.
  • Options

At most hospitals now, it is standard of care to require an amnio when an induction or c/s is done prior to 39 weeks for non-medical reasons.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Loss #1 (missed miscarriage) 14 weeks Loss #2 (missed miscarriage) 10 weeks Loss #3 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #4 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #5 (chemical pregnancy)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagekattyleigh:
    Thank you for posting this. There was a huge fight on the June board last week regarding the desire for early delivery by choice (not for medically necessary reasons) and I stand by the fact that there is a huge physiological difference between 37 and 40 weeks gestation.

I completely agree.  Just because 37 weeks is considered full term doesn't mean that every baby is ready to be born then.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• Options
    I know a few ladies who elected to have their babies at or before 37 weeks (one at 35 weeks) because they were "just too uncomfortable." All of their babies have health issues and it is just so sad. I can't believe doctors would even consider it without a serious medical issue. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    star173star173 member
    Holy crap!! I'm so glad my hospital is taking an active role in reducing c/s rates- their number one step...no more early inductions, unless absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Having had three babies, one at 41 weeks, one 42 and one 37 (all spontaneous) I can attest to the VAST difference between a 37 weeker and a  true full term baby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was born naturally when my mom was 37 weeks, my brother was born by emergency C section after my mom went into labor naturally at 42 weeks. We were both healthy. I think babies should come out when they are ready, not when the Dr.'s are ready. As long as everything looks good there is no reason to rush a birth :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"