School-Aged Children

Chores without reminding?

Do your kids remember to do chores without reminders?  My girls are great about doing the things but they never remember on their own.  And I've been wondering if they should be able to be a bit more responsible.   

I don't really want a big old chart for the few things the girls are expected to do (clear and wipe the table, feed the bird, general tidying, and that's about it!).  But if you have any tips, I'd love to hear it!

Re: Chores without reminding?

• Subliminal messages?  This was suggested to me by a therapist.  She has teenagers now and will still say to them things like "you know how much I love it when your room is clean, it makes me so happy and proud when you clean your room up" etc, etc, etc.  I use that with my kids about listening and it works like a charm.  and, it's so much nicer than nagging, IMO. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Ugh -- I really struggle to be consistent with this in my home.  I hope you get some good answers!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • DH needs reminding to do anything around here, I can't expect my 9 yr old to remember on his own :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"