High-Risk Pregnancy

another GD question

I was instructed to go on the diet and monitor my sugar after meals for 2 weeks to determine if I have GD or not (they can't tell from the GTT because I had gastric bypass) 

So I'm at the end of my 1st week of monitoring, and all of my numbers have been normal range except for the mornings. My fasting number is always in the 90's, but my after meals numbers are often in the 80s. I had one day with numbers in the 150's after meals, and I felt terribly sick that day and ate nothing.

I'm wondering if they are going to have me continue monitoring with numbers like these or if the endo will determine that I don't have it after all. Not sure if anyone will actually have the answer to that, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: another GD question

• I have GD and my doctor and dietitian would like my fasting number to be between 70-95. Then, two hours after my meals the level be less than 120 but higher than 70. Again, that is just the numbers that my doctor and dietitian gave me, and could be different for you. But from the sounds of it, your numbers seem to be right on track, except the one day with numbers in the 150s.
  • The day you were in the 150's I wouldn't worry about - stress/illness can really affect numbers, and not eating can actually send them higher, as well, since your body goes into "survival mode" so to speak.

It seems every dr is different, so I obviously can't say what yours will choose, but I can tell you if you were seeing my dietitian/endo team they would probably have you keep going with the diet and testing. Even though your meals sound great, the fasting is a little on the higher end (I'm supposed to be under 90, but they're okay with up to 95 - I'm on insulin because they were in the high 90's/low 100's). As your pregnancy progresses and your body produces more hormones things get harder to control, and that fasting will probably start to creep up higher. My dr would err on the "better safe than sorry" side of things and keep a close eye on the fastings. Sometimes they are so cautious I want to scream, but a 10 lb baby scares me more than the diet so I listen to them :P

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Agree with memali that your after meal numbers are within range.  I don't know if your MFM/endo wants your fasting below 90 or 95.  So- you could be within range for your doc.  My MFM likes fasting below 90, so you wouldn't be within range for him.  Peak insulin resistance usually occurs during weeks 28-34, so your doctors may choose to have you test for 5 more weeks or throughout your pregnancy.  Maybe they will just have you check your fasting levels and one other meal per day. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sraexxsraexx member
    Like everyone else, I agree it is the fasting to watch. I get high numbers during the day at least once a week because of stress, no sleep or something, but if my fasting are high the doc gives me the insulin warning. My numbers are fine under 105, but if I hit 100 they still say I will be insulin bound by the end of my pregnancy. The annoying part is no walk or snack can fix your fasting numbers if they are high. Good luck!
    BabyName Ticker
    my read shelf:
    Summer Rae Garcia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Question needing answer. Had 1rst screening having fasted well over 8hrs and the number was 153 the highest i've had in my life.  In my teens to mid twenties I weight more than now and it was never that high.  What is the difference in checking the numbers before fasting and after? What is the most important overall number to be concerned with? Any feedback welcome, thanks. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"