Baby Names

Adding to My Boy List: Solomon?

I don't like many boys' names, but this one struck my ear recently, and I think I might love it.

I checked its SSA ranking ? it's been holding steady around #500 for about a century. It's not a name I see mentioned often around here, but it fits a lot of my criteria: legit, uncommon-but-familiar, masculine w/o harsh consonants, international, etc.

So what do you think? Is Solomon a good brother for Amalia? And what is a good nickname? Sol? Sam?

Re: Adding to My Boy List: Solomon?

• I like it! But I am also a big fan of Biblical names. I don't think I can come up with any other nicknames other than what you listed. Good luck!
  • ames71ames71 member
    For all the reasons you listed, I'd definitely put it in contention. Solomon would be a fantastic sibling to Amalia.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • My neighbors little boy is Solomon and they usually call him sollie. He is absolutely adorable!! And the name flows nicely with amalia!
    Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Solomon will be the name we use for our next baby if we have a boy. I'm so in love with it! It works well with Amalia and I like the nn Sol.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • I love this name. I think Sol is good nn for it too.
    Cricket's Cadence
  • I know a Solomon whose sister is Amelia, in fact.

Solomon is a big name for a little person, but I kinda like it. I also like the nickname "Sol."

• I like the name, but I'm not sure I would use it with Amalia, just because I don't really like how they have the same vowel sound at the beginning of the names.  I think I'm extra picky when it comes to sibsets though, so take that for what it's worth.
  • I really like it!  Goes great with Amalia! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I really like this name.  I met 2 guys (in their early 30s) named this and they went by Sol.  I like the sound of this name and I think it will go really well with Amalia.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • I don't like it personally, but love the NN Sam.  I've heard the NN Sol, but only on much older Jewish men, so unfortunately I have that association with that NN and the full name and couldn't imagine using it myself.
  • Too religious for me.
  • imageNewMomma2011:
    My neighbors little boy is Solomon and they usually call him sollie. He is absolutely adorable!! And the name flows nicely with amalia!

Solomon is on our short list (for now) with Sollie in the back of our mind as a nn. 

And it is very complimentary to the name Amalia - an unusual name I hadn't heard before - it's very beautiful. 

• I like it.
  • Thanks for the help! I agree that the similar vowel sounds may be a drawback, but I'm putting it on the list!
  • Yes Like it! I like Sol for a nn.
  • Solomon is on our short list, but it's not my hubby's fave. It sounds a little old to him. But I like it! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We know a 4 yr old Solomon.  I hear that name a lot around here, though. 

His parents call him Sol.  One of our Jewish friends calls him Shlomo.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I knew a guy named Solomon.  They called him Sol.  It fit him well.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"