Infertility Veterans

New to this board & Sperm DNA Fragmentation Question

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this board. I have been TTC for over 2 years. I have had 4 IVF's in the past 10 months. We are going to do one more then move to other options. I just turned 40 and have normal FSH etc. After some genetic testing after our last IVF it looks like my DH could have a sperm fragmentation issue. Is there anyone whose husband has this issue? Anyone's experience would be greatly appreciated!

Re: New to this board & Sperm DNA Fragmentation Question

• I read the responses on the IF board and as the other ladies point out, this test is controversial.  My RE (at Cornell) did it at my urging, but he thought it could be misleading - i.e. it can come back w/ high fragmentation leading people to choose DS when they could actually get pg w/ their own sp*rm.  In addition to that, other than using DS there doesn't seem to be any practical application - there's no remedy for high fragmentation - vitamins may help, but that's about it.  My RE actually told me to "take it with a grain of salt."

I also had a phone consult at CCRM w/ Dr. Surrey who was a proponent of the test.  He said that if it came back high, they'd do vitamin supps and also use PICSI - which some method of ICSI where they use a super high magnification microscope and put some solution in the dish where the viable sp*rm stick to the bottom or vice versa.  When I asked my RE at Cornell about this he thought this was not superior to regular ICSI. 

So...it's kind of a grey area.  I think the point is I wouldn't bank your whole dx one that one test.

TTC in 2008. Stage II/III endo, Hashimotos hypothyroid, low morph (3%).
    2 cycles Clomid/Ovidrel/TI/Crinone=BFN.
    IUI #1 - 4 Follistim/Ovidrel/IUI/Crinone = BFN.
    IVF #1 - Antagonist w/ ICSI 4/10. 17 retrieved, 5DT of 2, BFN :(
    IVF #2 - Long Lupron w/ ICSI 6/10. 15 retrieved, 3DT of 2, BFFN!!
    Lap 7/21/10
    IVF #3 - Clomid/Antagonist w/ ICSI 10/10. 14 retreived, 3DT of 3, BFP 10/20 but m/c. No HB 11/15/10 - D&C 11/17/10.
    FET - 2 blasts, 1 survived the thaw. Transfer 2/19. Beta #1 3/1 375, Beta #2 3/3 885, Beta #3 3/8 4261, Beta #4 3/11 9005. U/S 3/8 1 sac 1 yolk, U/S 3/16 1 heartbeat 114bpm!

James born Oct. 24th 2011 via c-section at 38 weeks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP - Jack born April 28, 2013 via VBAC after PTL at 33 1/2 weeks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for your response. We had genetic testing from our lst IVF cycle which showed one egg with maternal issue and 4 mixed which my new RE said could be a paternal issue and possibly and issue with my DH's sperm. Test will be done this Thursday. We have so many thing against us that its tough.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"