Natural Birth

Oh gawd... just read on episiotomies!!

And now I want to puke (I get nauseous easy)... good Lord there's so much to know about giving birth and I am overwhelmed. After seeing Ricky Lake's documentary on childbirth, I am almost convinced natural is the way to go. Though I'm still doing research. I find it reasonable that the position of a woman laying on her back to give birth is solely for the doctor's comfort but correct me if you have further information on this. It seems more natural that a woman squat and such...
image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Visit my award winning blog for fitness tips, recipes, and meal plans! Photobucket

Re: Oh gawd... just read on episiotomies!!

• Laying on your back is definitely for docs convenience...and you are right. If given the option (and if a woman doesn't have an epi) she is unlikely to chose to give birth on her back.
  • i'm not sure i agree with that.  while yes, it is more convenient for the dr/mw to catch with mom on her back, i have seen plenty of women who are free to choose whatever position they want, push on their backs.  i always encourage moms to listen to their bodies and do what feels natural for them. 

imo, squatting can lead to worse tears as it can hinder perineal support and sometimes the act of squatting, while good for opening pelvic bones, can pull the perineum so tight that it splits.  also it takes a lot of energy to hold yourself up (unless you have support and even then it can be hard on mom's knees) in a squatting position for a long period of time, especially after a long labor.  

i am really a fan of side-lying position.  it's kind of the best of both worlds and a lot of women really like it.  it makes it really easy for them to rest between pushing and allows for full perineal support. all in all i do whatever the mom wants to do, within reason, because it is her body and her birth. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually pushed on my back. I was at home in my own bed so it may have been more comfortable. I switched from side to side during to allow for a different position for the baby to come out but ultimately he came out when I was on my back.

I thought for sure going in that I would squat or be on all fours, my back was just what worked for me. When it comes down to it you do what's most comfortable in the moment, whether you though it would be or not.

Yes episiotomies are scary which is why I would never in my life have one unless it was a life and death situation (which it usually isn't). I ended up with a 2nd degree tear with DS but other than the fear of using the bathroom afterwards it was fine.

• episiotomies are horrifing to me, but i did chooes to push on my back and right side even though I though I would squat or be on all fours
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• I tried the squatting stool and my midwife said it was putting too much pressure on my perenium. I ended up delivering my son in the side-lying position, which was fine except at one point someone was holding one my legs up and I got the worse charley horse of my life!!!! Gah, that was bad!

Texas- how do you feel about standing or on hands and knees to push? I think I'd like to try those this time around.

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• yeah, that is one problem that i have with the birthing stool as well.  i have noticed that when women sit on it more back on their tailbone, there are less tears.  that works well especially if there is someone sitting behind her and she can lean back into their open legs, with her arms draped over their thighs.  does that make sense?

anywho, i love hands and knees, it's a great position.  also using a birth ball to support mom's upper body, gives her elbows and back a break while on hands and knees.  i use it a lot when the baby is in a funny position, like OP. 

standing is good too, but again takes a lot of energy.  it depends on the mom and how long she's been in labor.  if it is going fast or if she has a burst of energy i like it.  it is easier if she has thinner thighs, or if not, she can put one foot up on something, like a stool, tub, toilet, bed, it just opens up a little more for me to see what i'm doing and to get my hands in there.  oh and ALWAYS put some pillows down with towels covering them.  babies are slippery!!  and usually when the body comes out there is quite the gush of fluids, it is so much easier to clean up when all you have to do is throw towels in the washer. 

another one of my favorite places for moms to push is the toilet.  i find especially helpful for first time moms.  the toilet is a natural place to push and all the goo goes down with an easy flush.  sometimes in labor i'll have them sit backwards on the toilet (facing the wall) so that i can push/rub on their back between contractions.   

• Thanks for your insight. I have heard that about the toilet, too! Well, I guess we'll see what feels good to me this time around :)
    Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• iris427iris427 member

I had a water birth and I delivered on my knees, leaning over the side of the tub.  It was what my body wanted to do and I had only a small tear, no stitches.  The water was nice support for keeping that position and the bottom of the pool was soft so my knees didn't get sore.

I thought I would want to squat but when the time came, it didn't seem right and I didn't even try it.  I agree that the best position is whatever feels right to the woman.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My baby was OP. I laboured and delivered going between all fours and modified child's pose (essentially just sitting back on my feet from all fours).

I thought I would want to move around more, and maybe if I had I could have turned that baby, but in the moment all I could do was cope with one contraction at a time. My doctor was content to leave me how I was most comfortable. (I do recall the nurse saying something about getting me on my back...  fortunately, my doctor said not to bother, so I didn't have to say no. There really was no moving me.)

• I delivered on a full-size bed with DH behind me while I leaned back into him. So, yes, I was on my back. My DD was born after just a handful of pushes and I only had a tiny tear. I would agree, however, that the lithotomy position (legs up in stirrups) is probably for the doctor's convenience more than anything else, and not the most natural way to give birth.
  • I was most comfortable lying on my side.  My doctor had no problem with it.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • I thought I'd want to do hands & knees & when I was ready to push I climbed up on the bed on my knees. It felt terrible! I ended up on my back curling my chin to my chest and holding my knees. We'd been driving to the birthing center while I was in transition & my doula had recommended I get on my hands & knees in the backseat and I made it about 2 seconds before I was on my back. That just wasn't the right position for me.

It did help being able to move around during contractions. I spent most of my labor rocking & belly dancing, that was the only way I could relieve the pressure. 

Married since 09.06.08
    2012 Book Challenge: 20 of 50
    Sophia Leigh has arrived! 02.09.11
  • Squating was not comfortable for me. I pushed on my side, no tears. LO one was LOP asynclytic. 

It is so scary and overwhelming but once you are actually in labor you just go with it. I went natural and while it did hurt it was an amazing experience. The pain is bearable, and once you're holding your sweet baby it IS SO worth it.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was on all 4's with both my boys.  With the first, I had an "internal abrasion" which needed 2 stitches... nothing at all with my second.

HOnestly..... I think the thing people totally forget about is the that your perineum muscles are skin and muscles and they will stretch and will be easier to stretch if you practice stretching them ahead of time... I did ALOT ot stretching the area and it helped so much.

Jill * Married to Steven 11/9/03 * DS Samuel 4/4/05* DS #2 Jeffrey 6/13/2009
  • I had a homebirth. It was med-free. I chose to push on my back. Actually, I can remember hearing my midwife's assistant ask if they should have me change positions. My midwife's response was something like "Why? She's comfortable and making great progress."

So my suggestion would be to listen to your body in labor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • after sitting (birthing stool like), hands and knees, squatting, and side-lying, I ended up delivering on my back because DD was having trouble getting around my pubic bone (she was turned all sideways and what not poor kid). I also ended up with an episiotomy because my "perineum of steel" wouldn't stretch any further and refused to tear. After 3 hours of pushing, DD just couldn't get past it and her heart rate took a major nose dive, so my MW had to make a cut. when she told me she was going to have to I started freaking out, but to be honest, I didn't feel a thing. I was too distracted by the 13in head trying to force it's way out of my vagina to notice. heck, I couldn't even feel the numbing shot she gave me before stitching it up!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I Bump from my phone 90% of the time, with a baby in my lap, so please excuse my bad format and poor spelling and/or punctuation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"