Babies: 6 - 9 Months

How much formula? A question about weaning...

DD has been EBF since birth up until a few days ago.  My supply is starting to tank and nothing is getting it back, so I've introduced formula one time a day and then I pump then.  I would eventually like to get her to eat formula during the day and still nurse her before bed.  I'm not even sure how to go about all this.  I've read that when weaning, you should drop one feeding every few days and not pump.  The reason I am still pumping is because I want to keep some supply for when I nurse her at bedtime. 

I'm wondering how much formula and how often to give her during the day.  Before this supply issue, she was nursing every 2.5-3 hours during the day.  So she eats about 6 times in a 24 hour period.  I understand that they will go longer in between meals when fed formula.  

This whole weaning thing is a headache to me!!! I always thought I was going to be able to BF til close to a year old and I wouldn't have to worry about switching to formula, so now I'm not sure how to go about it.  Any advice?  This is also a P&R because she just woke up, but I will check back periodically.

Re: How much formula? A question about weaning...

• Has she stopped gaining weight? I'd imagine you could nurse her, and then offer her some formula afterwards, that might be easier than pumping. I don't have any personal experience weaning to formula, though.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• After nursing that long it is much easier to bring a low supply back up.. can I ask why you think your supply is low? Is baby not gaining or losing weight? Has your doctor said you need to supplement? Pumping is not a good indicator of supply and babies are more efficient then a pump, some women have abundant milk and can hardly pump a drop (thats me) I included all  the links you will need even ones about weaning but it sounds like you want to continue to nurse and I encourage you to do so!!

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#supply

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#increase 

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_techniques.html 

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagerosiemomma:

After nursing that long it is much easier to bring a low supply back up.. can I ask why you think your supply is low? Is baby not gaining or losing weight? Has your doctor said you need to supplement? Pumping is not a good indicator of supply and babies are more efficient then a pump, some women have abundant milk and can hardly pump a drop (thats me) I included all  the links you will need even ones about weaning but it sounds like you want to continue to nurse and I encourage you to do so!!

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#supply

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#increase 

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_techniques.html 

Thanks for the links.  I haven't pumped ever since DD was first born, so me pumping isn't the reason I am supplementing.  I noticed a couple weeks ago that she still seemed very hungry after nursing her at a certain point in the day (around 3 or 4pm).  I know that supply is sometimes an issue in the late afternoon/early evening, but she was usually very happy after her nap/feeding but lately is not satisfied.  She now is becoming that way in the mid-morning as well.  She's not a distracted eater, she gets to the point.  I also noticed that she wasn't having as many soaking wet diapers as she was before.

She already gets 3 solid meals a day, so there's no room for improvement in that area, plus, I know that BM/formula are still to be their main source of nutrition.   I've even tried decreasing the amount of solid food, and that seems to make it worse.  I can't tell if she's not gaining as much weight because she's not getting enough milk or because she is more active.  I just know that she seems more content in the late afternoon after I give her a sippy cup of formula (she's never taken a bottle). 

I guess maybe a part of me is being a little bit selfish as well.  I'm not "over" BF, but I am starting to get frustrated with it.  I still like to have the bonding time in the evening, which is why I would like to keep my supply up for that particular feeding, and even the one first thing in the morning.  I wasn't even sure that is possible...I did read that fourth article (I think I remember reading a couple of the the other ones), and that sounds like partial weaning is what I am after.  If it seems to be too much trouble, I probably will stick with BFing, for as many feedings as I can and continue to supplement as needed.  

Thank you again for the info!

• I personally would nurse and then make small bottles (2 oz) of formula to give afterwards if she seems hungry.

You can always make another small bottle if she still seems unsatisfied.

My pedi was great about giving me a ton of samples when I asked for them. She took to room temperature enfamil right away and actually drank it out of the bottle. I've only given it to her once and I was just testing. I may go back to work and need to pump/supplement so I am just experimenting.

Are you drinking enough water? What signs is she giving that she's unsatisfied?

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • imageSnoopyLuv:

I personally would nurse and then make small bottles (2 oz) of formula to give afterwards if she seems hungry.

You can always make another small bottle if she still seems unsatisfied.

My pedi was great about giving me a ton of samples when I asked for them. She took to room temperature enfamil right away and actually drank it out of the bottle. I've only given it to her once and I was just testing. I may go back to work and need to pump/supplement so I am just experimenting.

I drink water like it's my job!  That never really seemed to make a difference.  I noticed my supply taking a hit, and aunt flow (sorry, tmi) has been on again-off again for the last 3 weeks (I'm currently going off the Depo shot so my body's all out of whack, again) so I think that may be the culprit. 

I know she's still hungry because towards the end of the nursing session, she'll pull off, go on again, pull off, on again, like nothing's coming out.  When I pull her off and end it, she's just cranky and keeps looking for the boob.  I guess I could give her a bottle afterwards, but part of me likes that DH feeds her now.   Like I said before, I am kinda selfish on the matter and I guess I want the freedom to give her a bottle, but I still want to BF.  I have no stash, and I can barely pump 2 oz. during one pumping session. 

• imageErinE920:
    imageSnoopyLuv:

I drink water like it's my job!  That never really seemed to make a difference.  I noticed my supply taking a hit, and aunt flow (sorry, tmi) has been on again-off again for the last 3 weeks (I'm currently going off the Depo shot so my body's all out of whack, again) so I think that may be the culprit. 

I know she's still hungry because towards the end of the nursing session, she'll pull off, go on again, pull off, on again, like nothing's coming out.  When I pull her off and end it, she's just cranky and keeps looking for the boob.  I guess I could give her a bottle afterwards, but part of me likes that DH feeds her now.   Like I said before, I am kinda selfish on the matter and I guess I want the freedom to give her a bottle, but I still want to BF.  I have no stash, and I can barely pump 2 oz. during one pumping session. 

What you're describing is something my LO does too. I never, ever thought she was unsatisfied. I always thought she was just "playing". I always pull her off and distract her. Then she does a good nursing session a little bit later.

I don't know if you'll be able to give her bottles during the day and nurse at night. She might really get confused, but good luck!

Not being able to pump much is normal if your supply is regulated. I bet if you pumped for the same time everyday for a week you'd see that amount increase. Especially if you do it during the first morning nursing session.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • imageSnoopyLuv:
    imageErinE920:
    imageSnoopyLuv:

What you're describing is something my LO does too. I never, ever thought she was unsatisfied. I always thought she was just "playing". I always pull her off and distract her. Then she does a good nursing session a little bit later.

I don't know if you'll be able to give her bottles during the day and nurse at night. She might really get confused, but good luck!

Not being able to pump much is normal if your supply is regulated. I bet if you pumped for the same time everyday for a week you'd see that amount increase. Especially if you do it during the first morning nursing session.

L does the exact same thing with me.  He will go off, on, off, on... Then when I put it away he whines and cries at me until I do something to distract him, then he's perfectly fine until our next nursing session where he will do the same thing. I asked about this at my local La Leche meeting and they said it can be just them playing around and getting extra cuddle time with mom since they are playing more at this age.  So they want more mom time and like to check-in with you.  L will always take an extra couple of ounces of BM whenever I offer it to him, but he acts just the same if I don't offer it.  So all the extra ounces are doing are expanding his stomach and they would eventually lead him to want more food at each feeding.  So I never top him up anymore with pumped milk and he does just fine.

I would talk to your pedi and track her weight to see if she is indeed gaining weight appropriately.  You may have a temporary dip in your supply with coming off the depo, but it should come back up, especially if you nurse on demand.  If she's not getting enough, she will nurse longer (after the flow of milk stops) and will demand feeding more often which should increase your supply.  At least that's the theory.

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"