Adoption

Gate checking a car seat w/o baby

Hello!! I posted this on the 2nd trimester board but someone suggested those of you doing adoptions and needing to fly to pick up their baby might know the answer to my question.

Ok, I'm going home to MI for my baby showers at the end of July. Turns out it works better for me to fly but that's going to make getting everything back a little interesting!!

Anyway, my best friend is willing to loan us their infant car seat but I've got to get the thing back. I'm flying AirTran and I've checked their website and they do allow you to gate check car seats and strollers. But my question is if they'll still let me do that if I don't actually have a baby in my arms.

I figure I'll have to call as it gets closer but thought I was see if any one had tried it already!!

TIA

Re: Gate checking a car seat w/o baby

• Honestly, I wouldn't overthink it. I'm sure they won't even notice if you have a baby with you or not, or may assume you're taking it for someone else, or that your DH is already on the plane with your LO, etc. I highly doubt they're going to stop you and say, "No baby, no gate checking a baby item."
  • LOL I do have a tendency to overthink things so you're probably right on that account!! I just don't want to get all the way to the gate and discover they won't gate check it have to pay extra to bring it home!! :)

Thanks!

• Loading the player...
  • When I was flying to get my baby, I had the carseat but not the baby yet...They told me that I needed to have the baby with me to get the free car seat check. I explained that we were adopting and we were flying to go get him and they said they still couldn't do it, they had to charge me. But then they ended up having an issue trying to put it in the computer, so they let me check it for free after all.   I guess you never know.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • erinmserinms member

imageDr.Loretta:
    Honestly, I wouldn't overthink it. I'm sure they won't even notice if you have a baby with you or not, or may assume you're taking it for someone else, or that your DH is already on the plane with your LO, etc. I highly doubt they're going to stop you and say, "No baby, no gate checking a baby item."

I agree with all of this.  I do not think it will be an issue at all.  And if anyone asks, you have a completely legitimate reason for checking it.

• I hope you don't mind me responding.  I fly every week.

Airlines only start to get crazy about the gate-checked if you are going over their limits of 2 carry on items.  When you have the child with you, they would also get the 2 items = no issue.  I think the only way they would question you is if you had 3 or more items to gate-check or carry on.  Then they would charge you.

Good Luck!

"When the world says, 'Give up,' Hope whispers, 'Try one more time.'" -Anonymous

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"