Pre-School and Daycare

NYT Article Re: "Redshirting". from the parenting board

Someone posted this article on the parenting board, I thought it was interesting, and should share it here. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/28/education/28kindergarten.html 

Re: NYT Article Re: "Redshirting". from the parenting board

• That's interesting.  I didn't realize that you could be 4 and still begin public school kindergarten in some places.  My daughter has a summer birthday but she'll be 5 by September 1 so she makes the cut-off in our state.  She'll be one of the youngest in the class though. 

• tammy79tammy79 member

We have been having a hard trying to decide whether or not to send DS to Kindergarten, he makes the cut off by 3 week, I cannot imagine him going to kindergarten at 4 at all.  Ben will be the youngest in the class too. 

BTW, I cannot believe how big your girls are, Ben and your oldest were in the same MDO class together.  

• Loading the player...
  • They were??  At StoneBridge? Are you still in TW?  Your three are super adorable. How close in age are they?

• tammy79tammy79 member
    Yes, Stonebridge, Sarah and Ben were in the same class (lol), I used to watch them in the baby room ( gosh it feels like forever ago). We are right off of 1488, Ben will be 5 in August, my Sarah is 2.5, and Jake ( our little surprise) is 1.
  • We're starting Ilana this fall, so after Labor Day and she turns 5 on Nov 3 (the cutoff is technically Oct 15). This was not the plan but the kids go to a small private school (at church) and no one is scheduled to go to K next year w/ her but 3 of her friends will go this fall. We talked about it, talked to her Sunday School teachers and her babysitter and decided it was fine for her to go. Evan is going into 1st this fall and is 6.5yo now. He has a Dec birthday and it was good for him.
    Jennifer, wife, CPST, birth Doula, LPN to BSN student, and 3x VBAC mama to AJ (8, Evan (7), Ilana (5),Olivia (2), and 8/24/12!
  • I appreciate you sharing this.  Harm it isn't an issue but for my twins it will be.  They beat the cutoff by 3 days!!!  We still have a lot of time but I am trying to read and research as much as possible.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • KL777KL777 member

I use to always think the cut off date everywhere was September 30th.  I beat the cut off date by one day and I did great in kindergarten, never repeated a grade, and so forth.

The majority of my siblings had to wait a year due to their birthdates being after 9/30.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• interesting article. thanks for sharing it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"