3rd Trimester

vitamins after delivery?

I'm due in a few weeks and just about out of vitamins. I've heard you should stay on prenatals if you plan on BFing (which I do). Do they need to be prenatals (with folic acid and DHA) or will regular Women's daily health ones be ok?
BabyFruit Ticker  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: vitamins after delivery?

• Whatever you have on hand should be OK. I plan on using what's left of my multivitamins along with what's left of my prentals once this little one comes along. Folic Acid isn't so important (unless you think you might get pregnant again soon). DHA is naturally found in breastmilk, whether or not it's in your vitamins. Vitamins are recommended mainly to restore mom's vitamin store, especially as breastfeeding takes something from mom to give to baby (calories, vitamins, minerals).

Kellymom says that multivitamins aren't even necessary if your diet is balanced (fresh fruit, veggies, whole grains, lean meats, etc.) Make sure you check the label on your vitamins for things like caffeine or strange herbs... 

https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/mom-vitamins.html

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • kc192kc192 member
    thank you so much for that info!! prenatals are so much more expensive then regular vitamins... not that I mind paying if they're necessary! but it's always good to save a buck when you can!
    BabyFruit Ticker  

• Loading the player...
  • My dr. told me to stay on the prenatals for a bit post-partum because recovery is hard enough shock to your system and you don't want to go chaning vitamins in case of side effects.

He also said the iron and folic acid in prenatals is good for building up everything you lost during pregnancy/delivery as well.

That said, any vitamin is fine and for awhile after my first I honestly quite taking them for a bit. I started to feel worn down though so I bought some more.

• Last time once I ran out of the prenatals I went back to my normal daily vitamin but this go round my insurance pays for prenatals 100% so I will stay on them since they are free and give me everything my normal daily does
  • I am planning on staying on my prenatals + DHA after delivery due to breastfeeding.  I think I will switch to a regular women's one-a-day when I run out of the pre-natals (just got another huge bottle about a month ago).
    imageimageimage
    The Kids (from left) Hugo, Siberian Husky, Claire at 3 wks, Human, Roman, Siberian Husky
    Proud US Navy and Law Enforcement WIFE!
    BFP 10.29.10-Norah Claire born 07.03.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"