High-Risk Pregnancy

? for those diagnosed with pre-eclampsia...

Hello ladies I figured I would post this here because I would get the best response.

How far along were you when you were diagnosed with pre-eclampsia? When did you first started showing signs? and Were you diagnosed with it at the first signs of it?

Thank you soo much for taking the time to answer. The other day I was in L&D for monitoring and go Tues. to see my doctor and have tests re-run. I was told I will be watched closely for pre-eclampsia. I was (and still am) having terrible headaches for a couple days and tylenol did not relieve it so I just choose not to keep taking it. My bp was 143 over 100 when I went in and I was having some random blurred vision and vision spots and slight swelling in my feet (I haven't noticed this being normal with me yet, but wasn't alarmed by it). The labs came back normal and when my headache started to go away my bp did come down. The L&D Dr. said that with pre-eclampsia just because I have no traces of protein today doesn't mean I won't have traces of protein tmrw. She also said my liver enzymes were low but that she was ok with it (whatever that means).

So now I wait till Tuesday to get  little more confirmation on what is going on, but figured I would get some advice from you ladies!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ? for those diagnosed with pre-eclampsia...

• I do not have any experience with this (altho my bp has been climbing the last 3 appts), but I've heard that they will take in the "big picture" in terms of the diagnosis- your bp, protein in urine, and liver enzymes are all analyzed to see if you have pre-e. Also, my care provider said that the liver enzymes are the most telling. They will also look for the swelling feet, headaches, etc. My sister had pre-e (but later - induced at 39 weeks), so I was told to watch for any signs, which would be any of the following that don't go away with rest or hydration - swelling in the feet, headaches, vision changes, etc.
    Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lujainlujain member
    I was diagnosed with pre-e at 37w2d.  I was also induced the same day, and had an emergency C-section the next morning.  My bp was in the 130s/90s for most of my pregnancy, and then it started spiralling upward.  My bp was fine at the doctor's office, but it was higher at home.  The doctor sent me to labor and delivery to run the tests a second time, and I was admitted and induced that afternoon.
  • Loading the player...
  • I started having symptoms between 28-29 weeks. I landed in the hospital for the first time just shy of 30 weeks. My BP was high and labile. I had some vision issues, headaches and average swelling in my feet and hands, my bloodwork was borderline. My BP lowered on bedrest so I was put on strict bedrest at home. I came in for a lot of monitoring. I made it to 35 weeks before I was officially diagnosed. Prior to that the called it gestational hypertension. At 35 weeks my face swelled up overnight, I started spilling protein and I was put on hospital bedrest. I made it a couple of days before being induced. My pressures were very high 200's/100's when I was finally taken for a c/s. 
    PCOS dx 2008 | BFP #1 2/26/2009 with Metformin
    Owen Matthew 11/1/2009 4lbs 10oz 16.5in
    Born 5 weeks early by C/S | Severe Pre-Eclampsia
    BFP #2 5/1/2011 | M/C @ 7 weeks | D&C 5/25/2011
    TTC #2 | HSG Clear | SA 2% Morph otherwise great
    3 failed Femara/TI cycles moving on to IUI
  • I was diagnosed with gestational hypertension first at around week 34.  My blood pressure was way off compared to normal.  At that point, he asked me to come in twice a week to have it checked and so they can perform an ultrasound on the baby to make sure he is not showing signs of stress.  I just went to L&D this weekend due to headaches, blurred vision and etc.  My blood pressure was the highest I've ever seen it and that is with me already on bed rest.  They did the blood work for the first time and told me my liver and kidney enzymes are above normal range, which means they are working overtime and could be dangerous.  I see my doctor on Tue and I'm curious to see if he is going to want to deliver early.  I'm scheduled for a csection in 2 weeks anyway but now I'm scared for my health. 

Make sure to follow your doctor's instructions.  It is extremely important. Laying on your left side will always keep your blood pressure down and ensure the baby is getting all of the necessary blood they need. 

• I started showing the beginning signs of PE at 28 weeks with noticable and rapid weight gain, and serious swelling of my hands, feet, and face. My face actually startled my mom who had just saw me a few days prior.

My BP slowly started to rise and at 31 weeks was 140/98...was put on bed rest and 24 hour urine testing. Once the urine results came back that I was spilling over 500mg of protein I was admitted to the hospital, where my BP continued to rise...had an emergency c-section at 32 weeks 2 days. All in all it came on fast.

In hindsight I wish I had listened to the early signs and gotten off my feet for the majority of the day and tried to relax. I was go go go even after I started swelling- guess I was in denial. I agree with listening to your doctor and taking it WAY easy...always listen to your body if you sense something is off!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was just diagnosed this weekend -- so I'm living it now.  I passed the Pre-E test on Monday at my OB's office, although my BP was slightly elevated (140/84), my urine sample and PiH (?) b/w showed no signs. 

However, my BP was high (170/110) when we came in on Saturday, and although my initial urine sample came back negative for protein, my 24-hour collection showed protein levels of 300 (?) in my urine.  (The norm is anything 165 or under.)   The only other indicator for me was that my uric acid level was slightly off in my b/w on Saturday.

Surprisingly, I have had no issues with headaches or feeling any different.  They told me today that Pre-E slowly builds up over time.  So, they may start watching you a little more closely...  I was already at my peri's office every other day for monitoring for growth issues with one of the babies.

Good Luck! 

Mr. & Mrs. ~ 09.08.07

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • yes things can change VERY quickly that is what happened to me, it was a matter of a few hours. 

i was showing signs or pre e coming on at probably early to mid week 20's. however when i was 17wks my doctor gave a good warning this could happened and sure enough the protein in my urine began to increase until i was admitted at 28wks because i had over 3 grams of protein in my urine. everything else was FINE, baby was growing, bloodwork was good etc. then BAM!!!! i felt like crap. nausea, headache and epigastric pain. they did bloodwork around 8pm and sure enough things were right. by midnight it was worse. they started the meds to keep me stable till my c-section in the morning, but they watched me closely all night long. they rechecked my bloodwork at 6am and things had gotten even worse. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I had a bad day at 28 weeks (understatement of the year, I'm sure)...  but to answer your question, I think I probably started showing signs at 26 weeks with the swelling.  It kept getting higher and higher up my body every 2 or so days - first feet, then calves, then thighs, then pelvis, etc...  I should have gone to the doc a week earlier.  The docs said I had a protein level of 4 if that makes sense? At 28 weeks I went in for my regular appt, got sent to the hospital, and whammo - a baby 2 hours later :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • Thanks ladies for answering.

I had my doctors appointment my bp was 138/90 with no headache when they took it. My headaches still come and go throughout the day, with no relief from tylenol. My bp seems to drop a little when my headaches are at the tail end or when I get a break from them, lol. My protein and enzyme levels were still ok but I have started getting edema(swelling). We are now going once a week at 31 weeks to the doctor which might give my insurance a mini stroke, lol. I'm going today for bloodwork since I haven't had it done since my visit to L&D. I'm supposed to check my bloodpressure twice a day and record what they are. If anything really elevates and stays consecutive or I start to swell in my hands or face I'm to go in immeadiately. He said we don't want to see numbers in the 140's/90's or higher. So right now he is watching me for pre-eclampsia and if my protein or enzymes take a jump he will diagnose.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had pree with DD. I started showing signs around 30/32 weeks. I was having cases of blurred vision, headaches, traces of protein, and serve swelling in one leg and my hands. Woke up the day I hit 34 weeks with a throbbing headache and couldn't see went in a bp was high and 24 hour urine showed protein was high was diagnosed with pre-e at 34 weeks and was induced at 37 weeks after 2 weeks of strict bed rest and 1 week of hospital bed rest. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"