Upstate NY Babies
Options

If you have/use a flat iron

Do you have any recommendations on buying one?  I got my haircut last week and I was telling my stylist that after about an hour or so, my hair starts to wave. She thinks I'm not getting all of the moisture out when blowdrying (even though I dry it for a good 15min) so she thought using one might help my hair stay straight (anyone know if this is true?).  So, I'm thinking of getting one, but know nothing about them. I looked at Target the other day since I was there and I see they have ones  you can use on wet hair....are those any good?  Just the thought of drying my hair then flat ironing it seems like it would take forever in the morning!  Any recs would help! Thanks!

Re: If you have/use a flat iron

• Options

Never use one on wet hair! Ok...my mom and cousin are both stylists. First piece of advice, when you think your hair is dry, dry it for another 3-5 minutes.

For straightening, there are serums you can use before drying to help, as well as using a large round brush while drying. Try Paul Mitchell straightening serum. If you want to get a flat iron, spend the money and invest in a quality ceramic one, like a Chi. And never use it without first using a heat protecting spray on your dry hair. I use the Chi spray on mine. And straightening your hair can take as little as 2 minutes. It really doesn't add too much time onto my routine. I heat it up while blow drying, spray on my heat protector, and run the iron through my hair a few times until it looks like I want. Let me know if you have any other questions!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a cheap wet-to -dry one (always seemed like a bad idea), but just got a Chi Original 1 inch on Amazon.  My hair stylist recommended it and said they are around $100, but it was on Amazon for $56.  It works so much faster and nicer!!!!
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have one from Sally's, it's a ceramic knock-off Chi... the brand is Jilbere. I like it, and it wasn't cheap (DH got it for me, I think it was $80?) After using my SIL's CHI, I really want one. It works so much better, and faster. Like a pp said, it really only takes a few sweeps through your hair to style it... especially if you blow it out w/ a round brush first.

Don't get a wet-to-dry one, they are terrible for your hair. And use a heat protective spray or serum before hand. I use a straightening blow dry lotion before I dry, and a spray before I flat iron.  

• Options
    So what kind of sprays should I be looking for? I use a leave in conditioner and mousse before blow drying, but that's about it. Will the product say "heat protective" on it or something?
  • Options
    wendyjwendyj member

imagebattybtags:
    So what kind of sprays should I be looking for? I use a leave in conditioner and mousse before blow drying, but that's about it. Will the product say "heat protective" on it or something?

Go for the Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, like MrsRichardson suggested. You can get it at any place that sells Paul Mitchell products. It's reasonably priced, and a little goes a long way.

• Options
    imagewendyj:

imagebattybtags:

Go for the Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, like MrsRichardson suggested. You can get it at any place that sells Paul Mitchell products. It's reasonably priced, and a little goes a long way.

I personally hated the skinny serum... it made my hair feel really greasy and weighed down (even w/ using a tiny bit) But I use a serum/lotion before I blowdry, and a heat protective SPRAY before I flat iron.

I would recommend either the TRESemme Thermal Heat Tamer Spray or the John Frieda Heat Defeat Spray (both around $6-$7 at Target/drugstores)

• Options

imagebattybtags:

I use CHI Iron Guard before using the flat iron...you can get it at most salons.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"