South Florida Babies

transition from potty chair to big toilet?

I know some of you began potty training straight in the real toilet, but Abby was terrified of it.  We got her a cute little Cinderella potty chair, but I'm wondering how we transition her from the little training one to the real one?  How did you do that?  When did you start venturing out of the house with your LO after potty training started?  I'm hoping today is the day of full potty training :)  *crossing fingers*  She's in pull ups today, I didn't want to throw her straight into the big girl panties lol

Re: transition from potty chair to big toilet?

• AlbahAlbah member
    I don't have too much input on how to transition to the real toilet. We officially started potty training yesterday and we ventured out of the house with underwear...today! lol We have no choice! We are always on the go and have so much to do on the weekend that we can't afford to stay home to pottry train. So we are taking a pretty aggressive approach but it's more realistic, I think. So far he has handled it well! No accidents today so far...knock on wood! I also decided to go with underwear while awake...he had 1 accident yesterday and freaked out that he was wet (he's a neat freak just like his dad!) so he has not wet himself since. Pull ups at night or during nap but I told him that if he had to pee to get up and go to the bathroom. Let's see how that part goes. lol Good luck!!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• We have something like this. It worked like a charm. Sophia was not able to crawl onto the real toilet until just recently and still likes this. I wonder if it will help Abby transisiton to using the big potty.

https://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=537132&cmSource=Search

{edited to add - the one I have is not 3 in 1 - its just the seat and step stool for the big toilet]

I started venturing out right away. Also, once we potty trained - it was panties all the time. No more pull ups, not security blanket - except for that first week at night until I was sure she would sleep all night dry. Funny story, Kohls' family restroom actually has a mini potty and Kohls was the first place I started taking Sophia when we went out in panties only. I remember taking her a few times to test it out and she did not have to go. of course, she waits utnil I have a fitting room full of clothes and am half naked to proclaim she has to pee. That was fun. LOL. I left everything except my purse (meaning stroller, her shoes, etc) in the fitting room and bolted for that bathroom. We moms are cuh-razy!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, we never had a potty chair for Gabby, but we had a little seat. For the first couple months, we had to help her on & off the toilet. I forget how long she had been PT'ed when she decided she didn't want to use the potty seat anymore. She just one day said, "No, on the big potty!"

It was a loooooooong time before she made the switch from Pull-Ups to big girl panties, but we took her out right away in the Pull-Ups. By the time she was in big girl panties full time, her mom had put her back in DC so we just kind of went with it. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
    Baby Squirt- September 2009
    Baby Turtle- May 2010
    Baby Surprise- August 2011
  • We went straight to panties here too (pull ups to sleep for 2 weeks until she started waking up dry). Started going out on day 2 for short trips until I got braver. I've had to run to the bathroom in the most akward moments like Mel. We have a potty seat we got at home depot. It's got an adult seat & kid seat all in one. Looks like a regular toilet seat when the lid is down. She has always gone there. Good luck!
  • We got this: https://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6766&cmSource=Search

She likes it a lot cause she doesn't feel like she'll fall in and now that she's bigger she can put it up and down by herself.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wrenr- that's the one we have. We put it in both our bathrooms.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"