High-Risk Pregnancy

2nd-time GD - how likely, and how soon?

Hi Ladies,

I experienced late-onset GD with my first pregnancy. My numbers were never off the charts, and failed two 3-hour GTT by ONE blood draw... so my primary deemed me diabetic. Two weeks later, had the baby.

I found out last week I'm KTFU! I'm concerned now that my new Primary Care doc will see my past GD and automatically start me with testing and diets...

How do you think I should address the situation? Just suck it up and go with the flow?

Re: 2nd-time GD - how likely, and how soon?

• I was about to come and post the same question. I am 6 weeks and had borderline GD last pregnancy 17 months ago. I began testing myself in the mornings and my fasting BS is around 94! It was never this high last time, I always averaged in the 70/80s. My understainding is yes, we will have it. I am just a little concerned because my understanding is the first 8 weeks is when you really have to watch the high sugars, not a good situation.
  • It's not a guarantee that you will have it, but you are much more likely to have it, and often have it sooner, though I don't know the statistics off hand. I was diagnosed at 28 weeks with my first. This time, they had me do the 1 hour at my first prenatal appt (11 weeks) which I failed. Did the 3 hour at 13 weeks and was diagnosed as GD. Some women are lucky enough to pass early in their pregnancy and are tested again during the normal 25-28 weeks time frame.

To PP worried about high numbers in the fist tri - My fastings were running in the low 100's for almost 2 months before they finally put me on insulin (had to change endo's due to the first cancelling on me 2 times). So far, my baby looks perfect and healthy, no signs of the birth defects that can be caused my uncontrolled sugars in first tri. I was worried about it, too, but the endo assured me fastings that high aren't high enough to cause birth defects, but they aren't healthy for you and could lead to a bigger baby, which is why they want them more tightly controlled.

If you're concerned you'll have it again, it doesn't hurt to follow the diet starting now - even if you just loosely follow it, it might give you some peace of mind that you're not letting your numbers get too high.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • This is my first time with GD, but I asked about what would happen with future pregnancies. I was told the same thing as the PP stated- the first 8 weeks are the most crucial in keeping your sugars balanced, and that I probably would have it again, at a much earlier onset (I was diagnosed at 28 weeks).  I was told I'd have to do the testing, follow the diet, have an earlier GTT test, etc. Ideally, they want me to communicate when I'm planning on getting pregnant, so they can test me ahead of time with a GTT. I do not have plans to follow that - but I'm guessing the next time around I will have to do the entire diet and testing from the first time I find out I'm pregnant.
    Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was diagnosed at the typical time with DD.  When I got pregnant again, I started the diet and testing fasting blood sugars and one other random meal throughout the day.  My OB was fine with letting me test at the 11 week appointment since I was keeping track of things.  Following the GD diet with nausea was a bit difficult, but doable.

I failed my 1 hour GTT and the 3 hour GTT, as well.  So- I have GD, again.  It is no surprise to me.  I figured that the only risk factor I had last time was being Hispanic.  Now, I had a huge risk factor- GD in a previous pregnancy.  I find it much easier this time around, since it is familiar.  GL- you might be one of the lucky ones to not have GD the second time around.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you!  I would try to stick to the diet, if at all possible, until your 1 hour test. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Everyone has offered great advice. I had it with my first DD big time but was diet controlled. Then I developed PCOS after her which also deals with insulin crap, so I knew this time around I would be dealing with it again.

The first 22 weeks of my pregnancy my levels were perfect! I really thought I might get to skip it this time but I hit 26 weeks and they started going crazy! In this pregnancy they were even higher than my first. I'm even fighting them with my diet at times ...

I would say just start watching what you eat and see what your doc thinks this time around. Even if they diagnose you early on (based on previous pg) I wouldn't worry too much. Just watch what you're taking in here and there. GL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"