Natural Birth
Options

I know I have time but...

...care to share some of your success stories with no progress at 39+ weeks but you still went into labor on your own?

I'm starting to get really worried about needing an induction.  Fortunately my docs are not induction happy - they won't schedule one until between 41 and 42 weeks, so I do have 2 weeks to play with assuming NSTs are ok (I'll start them late next week or maybe the following if no progress at my next appt.).  I just really need some reassurance that I can progress on my own.  Silly, I know, because I know I have plenty of time!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I know I have time but...

• Options

Those last few weeks are so hard. It's hard to remain patient because you want your LO here, and then you have the pressure of wanting to avoid an induction, so you're nervous, scared, excited, frustrated all at once. 

I went into labor on my due date (so exactly 40w) and had her the next day. If I hadn't been set on a natural birth, my doc would have induced because the baby was measuring big (and she was over a pound lighter than they predicted). 

I had pre-labor for two weeks before I actually went into labor, and I was so, so tired of trying to figure out if it was the real thing. I was really tempted to ask my doc to break my water to see if it would get things going, but I didn't, and I'm so glad I waited. 

You have lots of time left! Good luck to you and labor dust going your way!

• Options
    imageBalancingJane:

Those last few weeks are so hard. It's hard to remain patient because you want your LO here, and then you have the pressure of wanting to avoid an induction, so you're nervous, scared, excited, frustrated all at once. 

I went into labor on my due date (so exactly 40w) and had her the next day. If I hadn't been set on a natural birth, my doc would have induced because the baby was measuring big (and she was over a pound lighter than they predicted). 

I had pre-labor for two weeks before I actually went into labor, and I was so, so tired of trying to figure out if it was the real thing. I was really tempted to ask my doc to break my water to see if it would get things going, but I didn't, and I'm so glad I waited. 

You have lots of time left! Good luck to you and labor dust going your way!

Thank you!  That is encouraging :)  And OMG that smile and those cheeks!  *swoon*

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm a first timer, so this isn't my story, but my best friend was 0 cm dilated at 2:30in the afternoon at 40w, 3d, starting having timeable contractions at 6pm, was fully dilated when she got to the hospital at 10pm and had her baby 30 minutes later!

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

I declined cervical checks for that very reason.  I didn't want to worry or get my hopes up when dilation isn't a good indicator of when labor will start anyway.  I never felt a single contraction until I was actually in labor and I had no signs in the days before.

I woke up at 6:45 am with contractions 2 days before my due date.  My second contraction came 15 minutes after the first and then they went right to 5 minutes apart lasting 1 minute+.  I labored at home for about 5 hours and then I thought we should probably head in.  I was afraid of going to the hospital too soon so I had DH take me to the clinic first. 

We got there around 12:00 pm and my contractions were really starting to intensify.  My midwife checked my cervix and I was only 1cm dilated.  She could tell how hard I was working though and said we needed to go straight to the hospital and she would be right behind us.  When they checked me in my hospital room around 12:30, I was 4cm.  I quickly progressed to 10cm and DS was born at 1:28 pm after 10 minutes of pushing. 

So long story short, I was in labor for 6.5 hours and went from 1cm to baby being born in a little over an hour.  Try to relax and stay positive.  Hopefully your LO will come when he or she is ready and you won't need an induction.  Sounds like your doc is very supportive, so that's great!  Best of luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I didn't have any internal exams until I was in labour, and at the hospital.

I had LO at 40 weeks and 6 days.

My midwife did have me come in for monitoring just to check the heart rate, as I felt like baby's movements were decreasing.

Everything was fine, but she said she'd give me another 3 or 4 days before referring me to the hospital team for an induction.

I went into labour that day. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    Here's one! I was 1cm, 0% effaced at my 36w appointment ... and the same lousy 1cm, 0% effaced at 39w6d. The only "progress" (I hate that word, btw, since it just seems so inaccurate) I had made was that my cervix was softer and had moved into the anterior position.

I was so depressed on my due date because everyone kept e-mailing and text-ing to ask where the baby was, and I was getting antsy because it just reminded me that I was running short on time. Anyway, I went into labor that evening and my daughter was born eight hours later. GL!
  • Options

I declined cervical checks, so I don't know what was going on in there. I can tell you I had zero indications that this baby wanted out - didn't lose my mucous plug, barely had a braxton-hicks, no energy surge/nesting, nothing.

I woke up the day before my due date with light menstrual-like cramps and had a baby on my due date at 1 am.

Your body still has plenty of time to surprise you. 

• Options
    Thank you ladies!  I appreciate the stories.  Good to hear it can happen :)  I haven't had cervical checks either - I'm just not feeling it :)  Maybe my intuition is off though!
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm in the same boat worried about an induction when I still have plenty of time. I know baby will come when he is good and ready so I wanted to avoid checks from my dr but let curiosity get the best of me this week. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    iris427iris427 member

I left my 39 week appointment feeling really depressed about my natural birth prospects.  I didn't have any cervical checks but I just had this discouraged feeling.  I wasn't having any signs that labor might be near.  Nothing.  My OB even said I would probably have a couple more weeks to go.

I went into labor around 2:30 am that night and had an easy natural birth with less than 6 hours of labor.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for asking this, gym, I'm enjoying reading the stories! I have my first cervical check on wednesday, but I don't feel much "progress" yet. I've had like 5 of what I might call BHs. I'm only 38 weeks, but I'm sure I'll start feeling a little nervous if next week nothing has changed.
    Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • Options

You don't have long now but it can really come out of nowhere!

50% & fingertip at 36 weeks.  70% & fingertip at 38 weeks (Tuesday).  No real contractions on NST for 4 weeks in a row (2 vessel cord).  The Wednesday before Thanksgiving I kept saying I would see everyone on Monday - just didn't have the feeling.  Never dropped. Friday morning woke up to bloody show and the party started. 

I remember you from TTGP & 3T (I was more of a lurker) - Congratulations and good luck!

image   image

• Options

imagegymnst1013:
    Thank you ladies!  I appreciate the stories.  Good to hear it can happen :)  I haven't had cervical checks either - I'm just not feeling it :)  Maybe my intuition is off though!

This. My intuition was definitely off and that is unlike me. My husband kept telling me she was going to come early but I kept feeling like I had so much time and soooo many things still to do, etc. My water broke 10 days before my due date and because it was just trickling at first, I was in denial for a little bit but that turned into excitement. You'll get there- just stay off of Facebook and don't respond to people harassing you wondering if you've had your baby yet... everyone will find out quickly when it happens.

Also, I didn't have any cervical checks but my mother told me she never dilated or effaced before any of her labors started (she had four). She always just went into labor a little past her due date without having made any progress beforehand.

• Options

I had my last prenatal visit with my doctor at 40w even.  No progress, no sign of impending labour at all.  I also had GD, and while I controlled it well and my weight gain was well within an acceptable range, I was facing the possibility of being induced.  I was scheduled for a NST the following week.

3 days later my water broke without warning in the middle of the night.

9 hours later I was holding my first born son.  Relatively fast and easy birth.

I didn't do anything to try and bring on labour.  I had gone to work as normal that Friday, waddled around and complained that weekend.  Watched golf on tv.  In the wee hours Monday morning my water broke and the rest is history.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"