Preemies

Modeling question...

I was wondering if any of your preemie LO's had skin modeling.  The doctor in the NICU said it would go away.  Just wondering how long it took for it to go away on your LO's.

Just curious.  Thanks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Modeling question...

• Boy I feel dumb.....but what is skin modeling? Google isn't proving to be very helpful in this case.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• imagedamabo80:
    Boy I feel dumb.....but what is skin modeling? Google isn't proving to be very helpful in this case.

Glad you asked, because I had no idea either.  LOL!  (I too googled).

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • imagesing4mysavior:

damabo--i believe it's skin "mottling"

it looks like discoloration in irregular patches (usually in an extra pink/red color)---kind of looks like an alligator's or turtle's skin (not in texture, but in pattern). 

It's super common in preemies, and even in term newborns, especially if they are cold--it results from changes to the blood vessels (in preemies, it's usually b/c of temp instabilities). 

It tends to level out once they have some good "pudge" on them and are really good are stabilizing their own temp (which can take up to several months adjusted age).  

Ah. Thank you.

Yep. Corinne has this. I figured it was because there wasn't much fat between her blood vessels and her skin....glad to know I wasn't too far off. The nurses haven't mentioned it, and at least on the monitors, she seems to be warm enough.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• bhilyerbhilyer member
    JS, my bigger guy, has it. The dr said it's perfectly normal in babies. Even though he is reaching 7 pounds and has some fat on him, you can still see the pattern. He was outside for a while yesterday in 90 degree weather and it was less noticeable.
  • Corri is nearly 15 months old, and still gets mottled on occasion. It's normal, and our pedi isn't concerned; he said it even happens to adults on occasion. If she starts to look mottled, we just put a sweatshirt or socks on her, lol!
  • Mottled...sorry!  Thanks for the info.  The doctors in the NICU said that it would go away.  So I was just wondering at what point it went away...  Thanks for the info ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"