April 2011 Moms

I said I never would...

Bed share or even cosleep. I said I would put DS in his crib from day 1. That lasted all of day 1... He's in a pnp right up next to my bed, but the only way to get him to sleep after his night feedings is to fall asleep on me. I transfer him back to the pnp for the first one (and then pick him up again when he wakes up crying- lather rinse repeat about 5 times). The second time he wakes up I let him fall asleep propped up between my legs- hard to explain. He sleeps so soundly and falls right to sleep. I never really did research from the beginning and just said "nope I'll never do it and that's that". But now it seems like that's what he wants. Even during the day his naps on me are so much longer than in the pnp. He'll reach out and touch me, take a deep breath, and go back to sleeping. Anything else you're doing that you said you never would? Oh yeah, also cloth diaper and use formula. Said I'd never do both of those and am rocking the sposies and formula...
photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg

Re: I said I never would...

• Add me to the bed sharing list. I also said I wouldn't BF. I was grossed out by it and said I would consider pumping. Well, I'm writing this proudly with a baby attached to my boob. Lastly, I swore I would never dress my DD in all pink and only pink. Well, after two baby showers 99% of LO's huge wardrobe is pink so I kinda have no other choice. I did return / exchange some for outfits of my choice but doing so with every outfit I received would be impossible.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

June Siggy: Fave pic of Aubrey and me :)

• I said I would NEVER co-sleep- hahahaha - Nolan has probably slept in honest a total of 2 hours in 3 months in his crib. Now I wouldn't do it any other way now that I know, have researched & know all the benefits.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • StarJayStarJay member
    I said I'd never give LO a pacifier. We now have one in almost every room of the house and in both diaper bags in the case of melt downs... its the fastest way to calm him down.
  • I never said I *wouldn't* bedshare, but we planned on him being in his bassinet next to our bed.  That lasted about a week.  He now sleeps curled up with me, under my arm and we both sleep great.

I did say I wouldn't be "one of those moms" that is always attached to her baby, hardly puts them down, doesn't let them cry at all... and I'm soooo that mom and proud of it.  I have such a happy little munchkin, too! :)

• I STILL vow every night to transition LO to the crib but haven't done it yet.
  • We planned on cosleeping but have ended up bedsharing and it's working wonderfully. LO has woken up once a night since week 2. That's pretty much the only thing I didn't think we'd do...oh, and I swore I'll never drive a mini van and hopefully I can uphold that one ;)
  • I can't even believe I have a baby... That was something seriously not in my plans before Jared. I guess I figured if I did have a child/children, I'd do all the "hippie" cloth diaper, bedsharing, etc., stuff, and I mostly am. We're not in the cloth diapers yet since he was so teeny, but we have them ready to go.

I also can't believe I talk about myself in the third person using the word "Mommy," like, "It's okay, Mommy's here." I'll have him whipped into shape and calling me "Professor Mom" soon, though Stick out tongue 

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• imageNechie122:
    I STILL vow every night to transition LO to the crib but haven't done it yet.

I say this every night to my husband that "this weekend we will transition"  That was a couple weekends ago! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Use a pacifier & disposable diapers... I have the cloth ready but haven't transitioned yet. Still haven't got her in her crib yet either.

I now say I will never judge another parent... you can't know what you will or won't do until you are trying to survive through those first couple months. You think you know but ... 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • With DS (my first baby) I said I would not use formula, and would EBF for 1 year.  Well, I supplemented at first, then EPed for 7.5 months, then switched to formula.  I have FF both of my DDs so far.

With DS I said no co-sleeping or napping on me. I also wanted to keep them in my room for the first 6 months.  Well DS & I napped together and co-slept for the first month. But DH and I slept much better with DS not in our bed.  And unfortunately, DS out grew his bassinet and was in his crib by 4 months.  DD#1 rarely co-slept, and was transitioned to her crib at 2 months because she was such a noisy sleeper and woke me up all of the time.  DD#2 takes an afternoon nap on my chest almost everyday while my other kids are also napping.  She has only bed-shared a handful of times in the first weeks at home.

imageimageimageimageimage 9/07 m/c baby boy @ 18wks, 4/09 m/c @ 4.5wks
  • I said I would never dress a girl in pink frilly clothes and wear big bows or flowers. Well it is really hare to find outfits for DD without pink in it and she just looks so darn cute in those headbands!
  • Give my baby a pacifer, but I am getting really close. 
  • I also said I would never bed share. Oops. I used to also think people who didn't get epidurals were crazy - my SIL reminded me of that one. Funny how things change.
  • imageSouthSideDrea:
    Ha! We planned on co-sleeping, or at least keeping him in our room for 6 months but Hen has been in his crib for about 2 weeks now, and it is great. Funny how plans turn out!

This is us too. I had planned on keeping him in the Arm's Reach until he was starting to pull up, but he has started rolling into the side that isn't mesh and I'm terrified he will suffocate. So off to his crib he went. We all sleep so much better it is amazing. 

• So far I've been able to stick to my "plan" - I'm loving cloth diapers, Natalie sleeps in her crib, and BF is going really well. However, LO does wear way more pink than I'd planned - mostly gifts from family and friends - but could be worse...
    image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Daisypath Anniversary tickers image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our plan was to co-sleep but never bedshare--we are now happily bedsharing, mesh guard rail secured to the side of the bed and all! 

I also swore I wouldn't have an epidural (I changed my mind as soon as they told me I was only 2cm and could have days to go), would never use a pacifier (I now think it would be cruel not to let DD have one--she has such an intense need to suck and can't quite manage to get her hands to her mouth yet), and would only use cloth diapers (that plan went out the window in the early days of pregnancy when I realized we would still be living in England where no rental houses come equipped with tumble dryer hookups...it is hard enough to keep up with regular laundry when everything has to be hung to dry throughout the house). Oh, I also swore I wouldn't be one of those parents who resorted to using a swing to occupy baby / get her to take daytime naps...but we just purchased one a week ago and I LOVE having it.  

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"