September 2011 Moms

headphones on the belly, how loud is too loud?

i've been playing music to my belly with headphones. i read that babies are disturbed by loud noises so i don't want the volume to be too high. how loud is too loud for her? how can i tell if its too loud?

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: headphones on the belly, how loud is too loud?

• It's sudden loud noises that are disturbing.  Even an unexpected sneeze by mom can cause little one to jump.  It's actually very noisy inside, so I don't think the volume is really much of an issue.
  • I wouldn't put headphones on at all actually.  From Webmd

"Nature does a pretty good job of programming or presenting the necessary kinds of stimulation that a fetus should get at the appropriate times during development," says William Fifer, a developmental psychobiologist at Columbia University. In fact, experts worry that sticking speakers or headphones up to your abdomen could actually disrupt your baby's sleep patterns or the natural order of growth.

I've read/heard this from other places as well.  This is just what I found in a quick google search.  The fluid may amplify the music and could be too loud for the baby.  How would you know.  If the baby is moving around a lot you might think it likes it and is responding.  But in fact maybe it's trying to get away from the noise.  They baby will be able to hear music just through your belly.  Why chance it?

Full article.   https://www.webmd.com/baby/features/in-the-womb

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"