1st Trimester

How active are you staying?

Today I spent some time outside gardening: planting, pulling weeds, etc.  I asked my husband to help with the heavy lifting, limiting the weight I lifted to no more than about 10 pounds.

I thought gardening would be fine, however when my mom called she freaked out that I shouldn't be doing this.  I did have a miscarriage back in January, so I think she is overreacting a bit.  I thought that some everyday tasks like gardening and vaccuming are fine.  What do you ladies think?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How active are you staying?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Just make sure you are wearing gloves while gardening. My doctor told me their could be animal feces in the dirt that could be harmful to baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never been an over active person, but in general they say as long as you aren't doing more than you did before you should be ok. If you gardened before, gardening should be fine now. But if you didn't do a strenuous workout before, don't start one now.  My SIL did Body Pump and a heavy workout throughout her entire last pregnancy until about a month before her due date and she was fine - but she'd been doing this for a long time before she got pregnant... She would just watch to make sure her heartrate didn't get too high... You could always as your dr.
  • Besides walking, running around with my son and the usual activities I'm not big on exercise because I have a physically demanding job. I still work full time as a CNA and plan to right up until I give birth, or my body tells me otherwise.
  • Im pretty sure your fine to garden lol...thats a bit overreacting lol, same with house cleaning. I havent been that active myself because ive been so sick and tired all the time. I think your fine just dont life heavy things
  • A S-skiA S-ski member
    The most recent recommendations are to maintain the same level of activity you did before you became pg and ease up as needed.  Basically, just listen to your body.  I was marathon training before my BFP and actually ran the marathon (in my fastest time ever) when I would have been about 3 weeks along.  Since I was running so much before BFP, I'll continue to run 6 days a week just with less intensity and I'll drop my mileage as well.  With DS, I ran until I was 36 weeks with no problems.  I had a m/c about 8 weeks before I got pg with him.  As much as they suck, m/c are extremely common and are usually caused by chromosomal issues, not external ones.
  • NoodleMNoodleM member

I just wanted to add, most doctors say lifting anything up to 25 lbs is fine as long as it isn't too hard for you. Listen to your body.

I've stayed the same so far, but wasn't as active before getting pregnant as I have been in the last year. I have a job where I have to lift linen orders I've set up, and as I've done that since before getting pregnant I continue to do so but just am more cautious with the heavier bags and get some help.

When my new supervisor found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks he tried to tell me I'd have to take another job where I sit down all the time and I told him no way in hell. Maybe when I'm in 3rd tri, but not now when I feel just like I was before.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yes, that is a bit of overreacting. Like the PP stated you have to wear gardening gloves to protect yourself from animal feces. Unless, your Dr. has restricted you, you can lift more than 10lbs. I've been told I can lift up to 25lbs, except when I'm walking up and downstairs then my limit is 15lbs.

I haven't been overly active b/c I have been so exhausted, but now I'm getting some of energy back so I've been taking walks around the neighborhood (about a couple of miles) and swimming laps (about 1/2 a mile).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • I'm still working out and lifting weights and everything. Maybe a little lighter on the weights ... I was squatting with a 65lb barbell in the rack position yesterday.

• I think you're perfectly fine with the activity level, but the concern with gardening is exposure to toxoplasmosis (https://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/pregnancy/illness/180.html) or pesticides/insecticides. So long as you wear gloves and wash your hands after and don't apply any pesticides/insecticides you should be okay.

As far as my activity level, I wish it were higher, but I tire very easily or will get a pain here or there that freaks me out so I head back to the couch! Hoping 2nd tri will be better.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I haven't changed my activity level at all. Not saying I was that active, but haven't stopped taking the stairs, gardening, walking on the beach at night, etc.
    ~Nicole~
    imageDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"