High-Risk Pregnancy

Food help w/ GD

So just got the official diagnosis of gestational diabetes yesterday.  The testing part is not my issue, but rather the food/carb restriction.  This pregnancy I've had major food aversions and have been heavily leaning on carbs and dairy.  So you can imagine trying to come up with meal ideas is a struggle!!

The biggest meal problem is breakfast. This morning I ate half an english muffin with peanut butter (i wanted the whole thing, but it put my carbs way over limit) and 16 oz of skim milk.  My 1 hour after meal sugar was 139...just barely making the limits.  (BTW my OB wants me to test 1 hour after meals and have my BS be less than 140). 

Typically I eat cereal (like a raisin bran) on my days off... or on my work days drink a sugar free carnation breakfast (in like 24 oz of milk, way over the 8oz it's meant for), then about an hour later a small yogurt smoothie, and about 2 hrs after that one packet of oatmeal and 16 oz of milk.  Basically I graze, and with really high carb foods.  So this is not going to work to control my sugars.  But why do I graze like this?? I've also had gastric banding surgery and can't tolerate eating anything but soft foods until lunch!  Ugh!!!  You can imagine the half of an english muffin was a tough swallow!

Anyway, my long and rambling post was basically meant to ask what are you GD ladies doing for breakfast???  I like eggs, but can't tolerate them often.  I would so love your suggestions!!

image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Food help w/ GD

• I had gastric bypass, so I understand your wanting to graze. I don't want to eat all of that food at once, but I'm trying to follow the very vague rules that I was given. I would rather not eat protein either, but I force myself. So far, Greek yogurt is my savior. I hate milk, but I like the yogurt. I wish I could have it with fruit though. For breakfast I've been having whole wheat toast and egg whites (I don't like the yolks at all) and I've been having cheese and crackers with blueberries as my snacks. One morning I had turkey on toast for breakfast. Meh. I ate it.

I really have the same problem as you, so I have no other real suggestions, just wanted to let you know you're not alone. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I try and mix my breakfast up a little bit so I'm not eating the same thing day after day.I found some wheat bread by Wonder that 2 pieces is 1 serving of carbs. I have been eating the crap out of that.

Scrambled eggs with cheese and wheat toast.
    2 pieces of wheat toast with peanut butter and an 8oz glass of Soy Milk.
    3/4 cup of Grape Nut Flakes Cereal with a banana and Soy Milk.
    Grilled Cheese on wheat bread. Embarrassed

I drink soy because an 8oz glass (or 1 cup) only has 6g of carbs. So, if I really wanted more I could have 3 cups to equal my 1 carb serving. 

Also, since you had the Gastric Banding done, you might want to look at your local market for Glucerna. They are a brand made just for those dealing with Diabetes. They have shakes, cereals, and snack bars and all of them are really good. That might help you out a little bit as well.

https://glucerna.com/product/

Good luck! 

? We can only appreciate the miracle of a sunrise if we have waited in the darkness... ?

12/99 - Miscarriage at 12w - 6/08 - BFP - Miscarriage at 8w, 9/08 - BFP - Miscarriage at 8w2d, 12/08 - Found out I am a carrier of a Balanced Translocation between Chromosomes 8 & 16, 8/2010 - DE IVF = FAIL. 12/18/10 - Surprise BFP! Awaiting our Sticky Miracle! 12/20 - Beta #1-1208 * 12/27 Beta #2 - 6002 1/3/11 Beta #3 - 17,146. Beautiful little heart beating away! Stick little one, stick!

♥ Brielle Skye born August 17th, 2011 ♥ Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • NadiazNadiaz member

instead of milk, try almond mik (i.e. unsweetened almond breeze).  It has WAY less carbs and more calcium than milk. 

For cereal, I switched to Special K protein plus.  It has the least carbs and lots of protein, so a small bowl with almond milk actually keeps me satisfied. 

I ate a LOT of cheese and peanut butter (even straight out of the jar), which kept my glucose in range and I stayed diet controlled the whole time.

Zoryana Kaitlyn born 4/16/08. 8 lbs 14 oz and 21 inches long Aidan Sean born 5/23/11. 9 lbs 12 oz and 22 inches long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't have any milk, fruit or cereal for breakfast per the dietician. I've found one breakfast that works for me, and no matter how boring it is, I'm sticking with it.  It's a half cup of egg white substitute (liquid egg whites), with 1 english muffin- the honey wheat, double fiber one. That has been great for my breakfast numbers. Every once in awhile I'll get a number on the border, but that has to be due to external factors (like a stressful commute) versus the actual breakfast. 

I also second the Special K Protein Plus cereal that PP stated - I use that as my bedtime snack. Also, if my sugars are running higher, I'll do a greek yogurt and cheese/crackers as my afternoon snacks, which help me stay in range for dinner.

Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If your after breakfast numbers are that high, I honestly would recommend not having any dairy or fruit until afternoon. My MFM and dietitian said absolutely nothing like that until after 12 pm and that includes even unsweetened almond milk. Both have a tendency to cause your numbers to be way too high in the mornings.

I would really suggest some more protein because you need about 2 times what you are eating of carbs. It sounds like you are having a lot of really carb heavy/sugary things, i.e. the yogrut smoothie and milk. I understand wanting to lean on carbs, but the whole point of the diet is to have enough protein to feel full, provide nutrition, and keep your numbers under control. I would talk to your doctor or dietitian and they can help you with specific meal ideas because you had the gastric bypass.

I eat things like Fiber One and Fiber Plus bars at breakfast along with peanut butter or some nuts. I avoid milk at all costs before noon and usually all together since I'm lactose intolerant. Needless to say, it is hard to get the dairy in that I need.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagelovelyophelia:

I would really suggest some more protein because you need about 2 times what you are eating of carbs. It sounds like you are having a lot of really carb heavy/sugary things, i.e. the yogrut smoothie and milk. I understand wanting to lean on carbs, but the whole point of the diet is to have enough protein to feel full, provide nutrition, and keep your numbers under control. I would talk to your doctor or dietitian and they can help you with specific meal ideas because you had the gastric bypass.

Ya the example I gave was what I normally eat before the diagnosis of GD.  Actually, before I got preg I had a PB sandwich around 10am, after an ounce of cheese and the carnation instant breakfast (sugar free).  I couldn't tolerate the PB sandwich in my early pregnancy, which is why I switched to all those carbs and more grazing.  I am not someone who would normally eat an egg sandwich (although this is what I had for dinner last night) or eggs and toast, etc, so breakfast is really tough!

A few have mentioned almond milk (can't stand the taste of soy).... what would you compare it to as far as taste?

image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm also not allowed milk, fruit, or cereal for breakfast. All of those things would send my numbers through the roof, so I avoid fruit almost all of the time and only have cereal at bedtime. I'm not drinking all the milk I should because that often sends my number high, too.

For breakfast I typically have an egg with half an English muffin or a piece of whole wheat toast. Sometimes I switch it up and put a sausage patty and slice of cheese on half an English muffin, and once in a while I'll do an egg scramble with ham, cheese, potatoes and veggies (mushrooms, green peppers, onions...). It gets boring, but it works with my numbers and gives me enough protein so I stick with it. Like PP said, protein is key. I am also one to lean on carbs during the nausea of early pregnancy, but it didn't take long to adjust to adding in the extra protein. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I cannot stand regular milk or soy milk but live on Almond Breeze almond milk. The original, vanilla, and chocolate are all very good.

My breakfasts normally consist of 8 rice crackers (I'm also gluten free) with peanut butter and 8 oz of Almond Breeze. Sometimes if I feel like I'm starving I'll also throw in a string cheese. If I'm not working I'll do a small GF waffle, scrambled egg and 8 oz Almond milk.

Maybe try cutting down on the amount of milk you drink and see if that helps? Maybe just cutting down from 16oz to 8oz or less would help cut down the sugars.

Like pp I can't touch cereal in the morning. One morning I had Rice chex with milk and my sugar was 170! That's when I switched to the crackers w/ pb.

• sraexxsraexx member
    I had major food aversions up until my diagnosis. I was basically living off of cereal so my arb restriction felt like a death sentence at first. I also am a milk feind since getting preggo so I actually save it all for bedtime. So no milk, light carb and heavy protien for breakfast. I do:

wheat sandwich thins with PB and diet juice

bacon and cheese on thins

scrambed eggs
    BabyName Ticker
    my read shelf:
    Summer Rae Garcia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imageJamieJeanS:
    imagelovelyophelia:

Ya the example I gave was what I normally eat before the diagnosis of GD.  Actually, before I got preg I had a PB sandwich around 10am, after an ounce of cheese and the carnation instant breakfast (sugar free).  I couldn't tolerate the PB sandwich in my early pregnancy, which is why I switched to all those carbs and more grazing.  I am not someone who would normally eat an egg sandwich (although this is what I had for dinner last night) or eggs and toast, etc, so breakfast is really tough!

A few have mentioned almond milk (can't stand the taste of soy).... what would you compare it to as far as taste?

Personally, I also hate the taste of soy milk. I think it is super bitter and cannot stand to even drink the flavored version. Almond milk is more sweet like regular milk is. It is full of protein too. I would recommend it. DS is lactose intolerant as well and he just loves it.

I think adjusting to eat so much protein was the hardest part for me. They have me on about at least 3 servings of protein with every meal and snack. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Only had 1st screening and was told I was GD.  Hopefully 3hrs test will contradict that.  Tomorrow have no clue what I will eat for breakfast.  Used to be oatmeal with fruit and nuts.  Now what will I do? Don't want to starve all together as that is as bad for sugar levels as eating the "wrong" carb foods.  Cannot even consider certain protiens as am quite lactose intolerant.  Have been using lactose free milk and I guess that is good but cheese and yogurt and such is out.  Makes me almost wonder how a few slices of bread or a bowl of pasta alone made me get GD?  In my younger years I just allowed myself to get sick with my lactose problem but ate any and all things I wanted.  Still even then fat on carbs and milk/other dairy sugars and soda and such I was only ever boarderline diabetic.  Go figure that one out.  Anyway what do I eat tomorrow and the next day and so on?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"