Natural Birth
Options

So thinking about how "natural" a birth I want for #2

We just got a BFP this week and aren't due for sometime, but over the last few months I've done a lot of reflecting on the birth experience I had, and what I might consider changing this time.

I birthed in a hospital with a midwife. here in NZ our hospitals are very pro natural births and because I feel fearful about the "what ifs" a hospital is definitely the best choice for me.

It's the level of pain relief that I'm going back and forth on. Last time I used the gas which is a mix of oxygen and nitrous oxide. I used it a bit before pushing and whilst pushing.

I remember in the post birth rosy glow thinking that I could have done without the gas, and I'm sure I could have if I had to.

All the articles I can find say that gas presents no risk to baby or mother. It doesn't interfere with post birth bonding or recovery in anyway.

So part of me thinks, "well why not have the gas" and follows the, "no one gets a medal" line of thought. But the other part of me is torn with the belief that we are absolutely designed to do this.

If it posed any risk to the baby or myself, then my choice would be a much easier one.

I know no one can tell me what decision to make, but wondered if anyone had some good references for me to consider around "natural' birthing.

Thanks 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: So thinking about how "natural" a birth I want for #2

• Options

The fact that you had a good experience the first time with just the gas bodes well for your second dance.

Odds are your labour will be faster and easier (but don't count on it  Wink) and if you think you can and want to go without, then you almost certainly can.

Talk to friends who have done it, read some of the stories here: it does help.

And, congratulations!

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options

I was going to do the gas, but I got to the hospital too late so I did it without anything.

Next time... I kinda want to do the gas. Everything I've read says it's very short lived in your body (totally gone within a few minutes). I don't have any desire to try much else.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jinsy80Jinsy80 member
    I'm jealous. I don't believe we have the gas here in the states (we used to at some point) right now. I would have taken the gas over Nubain with my first and definitely with my second (no time for meds). I have pretty quick labors, so no need for an epidural. I just need something to take off the edge. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am such a HUGE believer in Hypnobirthing and water birthing!  I couldn't have gone through childbirth comfortably without the Hypnobirthing or being in the tub.  And I mean it when I say comfortably. It was completely bearable and I honestly was falling asleep between surges, that's how relaxed I was.  I wouldn't have believed that Hpnobirthing would work for me if I hadn't gone through it myself!  You should do some research, and get the book, Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method to see if it's something that would help you!  It's AMAZING and it just makes sense!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yay! Congrats! All I can say is, I wish the US had gas and air at hospitals. I think I would have taken it if it was available - at the very least, I would have definitely considered it. (Sorry, that in no way helps you out!)
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    Some of the hospitals in my area do use nitrous oxide.  That said I am on the West Coast and many hospitals are very pro natural birth so they basically have mom baby supportive policies. I would have asked on my hospital tour if I knew this was an option.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"