September 2011 Moms
Options

A Post from the September 2010 Moms--keepin it real

Every time I see posts that begin with "I will never . . ." I wonder if people will really be able to stick with it. I was really interested in the responses from all of the Sept. 2010 moms. I'm especially shocked at how many of them ended up co-sleeping and/or bed-sharing despite their intentions not to.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/53847429.aspx

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: A Post from the September 2010 Moms--keepin it real

• Options

I won't say I was one of the "I will NEVER EVER EVER do that" people, but we absolutely were not planning on sharing our queen sized bed with a baby for six months.. but hey, it's what got her (and us) 8-12 good hours of sleep every night, so we did it.

I will say that it's really hard to explain to someone who hasn't been in the situation.. we didn't really broadcast that we were doing it, just told people that she sleeps in our room and left the rest of it alone.. 

• Options
    I think the only woman who kept up with her "ideals" went into it with a really open perspective and expectations . . . perhaps even low expectations. I don't know what's better: to start out high and mighty and fall down to the middle/norm, or anticipate the worst and be satisfied with the middle/norm.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AzraylaAzrayla member
    I swore id never bedshare :) it didn't seem safe to me and I judged my cousin who did so with her daughter. However DD ended up in our bed or the first six months as well.. I totally plan on sharing this go around..

I don't think I've really said id never do something.. but I will never put my kid on a leash ;) everything else might be up for debate..keep an open mind!
  • Options

Such a great idea to post this.  It really gave me some more perspective.  For the most part I planned on taking things as they come..  DH has been more of the type that thinks life will continue to go on as it has... I feel the need to bring him back to earth so to speak. 

I already know our plans will have to be altered so at least I won't be disappointed if and when that happens!

• Options
    I never say never when it comes to raising my child. While I didn't deviate far from what I thought I would do, I realized very quickly that flexibility is key. 
  • Options
    ac5008ac5008 member
    Thank you for sharing this! It was good to read - and maybe I should relax on some of my ?plans?!

Love is multiplied: DS #1: 1.5.99 ~ DS #2: 9.23.11 ~ DD 8.29.13

m/c 11/12/12 - sleep tight baby bean.

Bitty Baby #4, please stick around - we already love you so very much!

Ultrasound 11/4 - TWO HEARTBEATS!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    As a first-timer, I am trying not to say "I will never", but I really just hope that when the time comes I will give it my best and act in the best interest of DD.  I think it's good to have ideals and goals and hopes for the life you give your baby, but you don't have to be a d!ck about it.  And when plans change, plans change.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The only thing I said I wont do is bed share. Not because I think it's bad or wrong, I am just terrified of DH rolling over on her in his sleep. He has knocked me in the head several times and even when I smack him he doesn't wake up. I'd feel more comfortable with her in a co-sleeper attached to my side of the bed so she is safe. I defiantly want her in the room with me though. I have high hopes of breast feeding and then making her food and will be disappointed if something happens that I can't. But it won't be the end of the world.
  • Options
    I learned from watching my brother and sister with their kids to never say never. You usually always end up looking like an a$$ in the end. I learned a lot of the time, you gotta do what you gotta do. I wasn't sure I would ever bed share, but when it's 2am and they are waking up every 15 minutes, you are desperate to get some sleep!!
  • Options
    Great post...I've bitten my tongue a bit on this board, especially with some of the more judgey posts about choices other parents make from soon to be first time moms.  It is a whole different ballgame once the baby is here..and then once the child is a toddler...and so on and so forth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

i still won't say never because even though something was easy with the first, you never know what you're gonna get the second go round.

ok, one thing i will never do is NOT vaccinate my kids.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"