High-Risk Pregnancy

Type I diabetes & Induced Labor

For ladies that have been through labor before w/ Type I diabetes - any thoughts having a doula with you? I'm probably going to be induced around week 39 if he doesn't come on his own and I've heard that w/ inductions all the "normal" processes such as hormonal responses go out the window. So I'm not sure if the doula will be able to do as much for me since "natural childbirth" is not an option w/ induction w/ pitocin.

Would be interested to hear any perspectives for others who have experienced induced labor w/ Type I diabetes and if anyone used a doula.

Re: Type I diabetes & Induced Labor

• I know there are ladies over on the Natural Birth board who've been induced without pain meds. You might want to post over there. I'm sure a doula would be helpful in keeping your experience as natural as possible, but I'm a first-timer so I have no experience to give.
    Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • I've hired a doula, but I have gestational diabetes. I'm also told that I will be induced at week 39. I'm trying to have a natural birth, if possible. I've heard there are other ways of inducing labor versus medical options - reflexology, acupuncture, and acupressure. I'm hoping that I can try those first around week 39, versus going right to the gel or pitocin. 

Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an induction with DD. Unfortunately she didn't react well, and it ended in a c/s 15 hours after the induction began. Because I was induced early (36w5d), my body wasn't ready and I also didn't progress in those 15 hours.

I don't have any info regarding the doula, though. 

Just wanted to be on the safe side: Are you certain you are waiting until 39 weeks to be induced? My OB will not let me go past 38w4d with type 1 diabetes. It's because of the placenta breaking down earlier than usual.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"