Upstate NY Babies

I dont know what else to do

I have a feeling DD Is stuck in an overtired state. This garbage started last week when she skipped her nap like 3 times out of 6 days. Her bedtime has gotten really bad-she totally fights sleep and no matter what time we put her down, she plays until 930+ at night. I know shes tired- i can see it in her face. Today I tried putting her down earlier for nap and shes still up there (over an hour later) playing. I took all of her toys away from her to prevent her from playing but no luck. I have no idea how to get this child to sleep. I think I have to pick up HSHHC again....I'm at the end of my rope....I've gotten nothing done this week-its hard to get things done when shes up there playing away.

Re: I dont know what else to do

• HSHHC recommends putting an overtired child to sleep super early- (like 530) until the schedule is re-set...

I think if you want to change a sleep time they want you to do it in 20 min incriments until you hit the time you want but for a completely out of whack schedule I think you just put her down super early and if she wakes you let her CIO...

Good Luck~ I know this has been super stressful for you! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have HSHHHC that I was going to donate to the library. Its yours if you want it.

Send me your address.

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Loading the player...
  • I know it's not for everyone, but I think at this point I would look into the Ferber method and maybe see if CIO would work.  It does seem like it's been causing a lot of stress! 

https://www.amazon.com/Solve-Your-Childs-Sleep-Problems/dp/0743201639

• Not sure how old your DD is...but when Chelsea was about 16 mos, she stopped going right to sleep for her nap. She would talk, sing, play, etc for an hour (or sometimes more) before she would finally fall asleep. And once in a while she wouldn't sleep. I still left her in there for at least two hours (as long as she wasn't crying hysterically) because she was still resting and I was able to get things done while she was in bed. I know it's hard not to focus on it, but maybe you could turn the monitor down to a low volume, turn on some music for yourself, and go ahead with your chores? She might surprise you and play herself to sleep.

I would also just keep working on putting her to bed at her normal time and getting her up at her normal time. Her body will work it out...make sure her bedtime routine is consistent, and hopefully this is just a short phase! It could be so many things...growth spurt, teething, dropping a nap, who knows? I feel like every time I get used to one of my girls' routines, they change!!

Hang in there.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMelissaSue81:

I have HSHHHC that I was going to donate to the library. Its yours if you want it.

Send me your address.

Sent you a PM! Hopefully you get it-never done one before!

• imageJenJar:

I know it's not for everyone, but I think at this point I would look into the Ferber method and maybe see if CIO would work.  It does seem like it's been causing a lot of stress! 

We've been doing CIO since she was 4mos old. The problem is, no matter what time we put her down (nap or bedtime), she plays in her crib for at least an hour, sometimes way more....no crying at all-just playing!

• imageMrsRichardson915:

Not sure how old your DD is... She's 23mos

but when Chelsea was about 16 mos, she stopped going right to sleep for her nap. She would talk, sing, play, etc for an hour (or sometimes more) before she would finally fall asleep. And once in a while she wouldn't sleep. I still left her in there for at least two hours (as long as she wasn't crying hysterically) because she was still resting and I was able to get things done while she was in bed. I know it's hard not to focus on it, but maybe you could turn the monitor down to a low volume, turn on some music for yourself, and go ahead with your chores? She might surprise you and play herself to sleep. This is exactly what happens-no matter what time she goes down, its an hour or more of playing, bedtime included. Tonight we put her down early-by 730 and she played until 915 (she was eye rubbing and yawning like crazy by 730 so I know shes exhausted). This has been going on for over a week now!

I would also just keep working on putting her to bed at her normal time and getting her up at her normal time. Her body will work it out...make sure her bedtime routine is consistent, and hopefully this is just a short phase! It could be so many things...growth spurt, teething, dropping a nap, who knows? I feel like every time I get used to one of my girls' routines, they change!! I totally agree!

Hang in there.

• Just wanted to say that I hope she sleeps better for you soon, I know it has been a tough week.  DD sometimes just plays and talks to herself too up there for about an hour.  Luckily for us, we are only about 85% on to 1 nap, so the following day she gets 2 naps and is able to catch up.  Is she still napping good for daycare?

• imagebattybtags:
    imageJenJar:

I know it's not for everyone, but I think at this point I would look into the Ferber method and maybe see if CIO would work.  It does seem like it's been causing a lot of stress! 

We've been doing CIO since she was 4mos old. The problem is, no matter what time we put her down (nap or bedtime), she plays in her crib for at least an hour, sometimes way more....no crying at all-just playing!

If she isn't crying or anything, I'd just let her be.  Like PP said, she is still resting in there, even if she's not sleeping.  Gavin does take a while to fall asleep sometimes.  Twice this week he was in there for almost 2 hours at naptime before he fell asleep.  It's not a daily thing, but if he's not crying, I just let him look at his books and talk to himself until he falls asleep or his "naptime" is over (I give him 2 hours).

• Rosie started doing that around that age too. She's always been good with naps and will down pretty quickly for those. But she usually takes quite a while to go down at night, usually at least a half hour, although there have been nights where it takes her well over an hour to get to sleep. If she's not cranky in there, I wouldn't worry about it. I take a long time to fall asleep, so I figure Rosie gets it from me. Hopefully it's just a funky sleep regression and she's back to normal soon!
  • imagejnk062602:

Just wanted to say that I hope she sleeps better for you soon, I know it has been a tough week.  DD sometimes just plays and talks to herself too up there for about an hour.  Luckily for us, we are only about 85% on to 1 nap, so the following day she gets 2 naps and is able to catch up.  Is she still napping good for daycare?

She naps about an hour or a little more (never more than an hour and a half) but they do tell me she takes a long time to fall asleep compared to the other kids.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"