Adoption

Foster Parenting Prep 101 Class :)

DH and I went to another class for Foster Parenting last night & I wrote a blog entry about it!  I'm curious about others experiences with the training provided or what you thought of it too. 

What was your favorite Foster Parenting class?

https://projectopenhearts.blogspot.com

dx MF & FF IF
Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Foster Parenting Prep 101 Class :)

• mysticlmysticl member
    Wow, as someone who used to be involved in training foster parents I'm shocked that class is usually reserved for people who are already licensed.  That was the kind of information we gave at the very start of the process. If people weren't willing to make that kind of time commitment to parenting the child we didn't want to waste their time or ours.  I'm glad you are so excited to do this and they didn't scare you off. 
  • some parts of the class really scared us but the reality of being a foster mom has been wonderful.  We haven't faced any of the problems that they told us about in the class but have faced some issues along the way.  just remember that each and every case is SO different and nothing can really ever prepare you for the experience.  There are so many helpful ladies on here too:)  Good Luck!
    started Foster care process 5/2010, Placed with 1st foster son 9/2010, Starting the adopting process as a single mom 10/2011, Adoption finalized 6/2012: proud momma to a great 6 year old!
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow. Not sure where you are, but you get a lot of time to take the child to the doctor after the initial placement. In Texas we are required to take the child within 3 days of placement to the doctor and we're given 60 days for the dentist for children over 6 months old (yes, you read that correctly - 6 months)
  • Here in Sonoma County California there is a class at the JC called Partnership In Parenting, it's a 1 unit class that lasts the whole semester. It's targeted for potential and current foster and adoptive parents, as well as anyone interested in finding out more about the system and how to handle these children. I am only on class 3, but as a foster youth I have been able to contribute greatly. We have teachers and county workers in the class even.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"