High-Risk Pregnancy

Testing Blood Sugar question

How much difference does a few minutes make? I am only on my 2nd day, and I totally forgot what time I finished my breakfast. It could have been 9:15, it could have been 9:45. I got distracted by my son, and totally forgot, so I tested at 10:15, and it was high... (yesterday, it was not) I had 1 slice of whole wheat toast and egg whites, it shouldn't be 152.  I hate this. I'm so frustrated. Do I test again now?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Testing Blood Sugar question

• a few minutes shouldn't make a huge difference....30 minutes would likely make a difference though (so if you did eat at 9:45..and tested 30 minutes later at 10:15 that would be testing way too early)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• sraexxsraexx member

Hey, aren't you one of my September ladies? Welcome to the world of needles, timing meals and too much peanut butter. 

Are you supposed to be checking at 1 hour or 2. Even 15 minutes makes a big difference at the 1 hour check. The 2 hour is a little more forgiving. Your breakfast sounds fine, so you shouldn't be high, make sure your hands are washed it can mean a big difference.

Hang in there it gets to be routine. I still forget my times and even to take my fasting before stuffing my face some days. I was diagnosed at 15 weeks. 

BabyName Ticker
    my read shelf:
    Summer Rae Garcia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told 10 even 15 minutes late isn't too big of a deal. Anything more than 30 minutes late isn't accurate. It you tested too early that would explain why it was high. I wouldn't test again, but maybe make sure you're drinking a bunch of water and try to talk a little walk to bring the number down.

I often have to guess what time I should test because I'm distracted taking care of DD or getting her food, too. Sometimes I'll set a timer so I don't have to pay attention to the clock - I test one hour from the first bite of food, so as I take that bite I set the timer.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagesraexx:

Hey, aren't you one of my September ladies? Welcome to the world of needles, timing meals and too much peanut butter. 

Are you supposed to be checking at 1 hour or 2. Even 15 minutes makes a big difference at the 1 hour check. The 2 hour is a little more forgiving. Your breakfast sounds fine, so you shouldn't be high, make sure your hands are washed it can mean a big difference.

Hang in there it gets to be routine. I still forget my times and even to take my fasting before stuffing my face some days. I was diagnosed at 15 weeks. 

Yep. I'm a Sept. Momma. I took it again at 10:45, because I truly have no idea if it was 9:15 or 9:45 when I finished eating. It was 119, so I guess that I did it a half hour to early.

I really want to do it accurately, because if I don't have a problem with my sugar in the next 2 weeks, I don't have to continue. Obviously, if there's a problem I want to do whats best for the baby, but my GTT is inconclusive due to my gastric bypass, so the only way to know is to monitor for 2 weeks. 

• sraexxsraexx member
    imagelmjt:
    imagesraexx:

Yep. I'm a Sept. Momma. I took it again at 10:45, because I truly have no idea if it was 9:15 or 9:45 when I finished eating. It was 119, so I guess that I did it a half hour to early.

I really want to do it accurately, because if I don't have a problem with my sugar in the next 2 weeks, I don't have to continue. Obviously, if there's a problem I want to do whats best for the baby, but my GTT is inconclusive due to my gastric bypass, so the only way to know is to monitor for 2 weeks. 

At the beginning I would text DH to tell him I was eating then I would have the time recorded. 

BabyName Ticker
    my read shelf:
    Summer Rae Garcia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I set my alarm on my phone as soon as I'm finished eating so I don't forget.  I'm a S/WAHM with a 21 month old.  Things get busy here and it slips my mind unless I have a reminder.

Tip - be sure to thoroughly wash your hands before you test.  If you have something on your fingers, it can affect your results.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the tips ladies!
  • If I'm out I set my phone alarm when I start eating or I would forget to test completely. If I'm at home I either write it down on my digital post-its or on our kitchen white board depending on where I am in the house. If I'm home alone and don't have plans for the day I make myself consistently start eating on the hour or 30 minute mark.
  • I write the time I finished my meal down in my diabetes record book. Then I write the time I tested my blood sugar which would be two hours after my last meal. I also keep a notebook of everything I eat during the day.

Example: 9:40am (ate) 11:40am (checked) results 96

This help me alot since I tend to forget everything lately.

• Maybe your Dr. is different, but I was told to time my test for 1 hr after my first bite of food, not based on when I finished eating. Also, like PP said, make sure you wash your hands before you test!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"