South Jersey Babies

Calm Shoulder Screen

I had a Calm Shoulder Screen done at 37 weeks.  I feel under the high risk category and they predicted that the baby was already 8lbs 2oz.  I know that these predictions tend to vary and end up being a pound or two off in either direction.  I have decided to try for a regular delivery instead of a c-section.  Any thoughts??

Re: Calm Shoulder Screen

• I have no idea what the screen is, but I personally think you're making a good decision to let things happen as they happen. Maybe you'll need a c-section for other reasons and that's totally fine/necessary/healthy for you and the baby if it comes to that, but my personal opinion is that estimated size isn't really a reason to schedule one. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know if I agree totally with PP.  Yes, u/s's tend to over estimate the size of the baby, but the CALM shoulder screening is not just about size, it's making sure that the baby's vaginal delivery wont end up in shoulder dystocia.  The test measures the size of the baby, and takes into account maternal size, as well as size of mother's pubic bones, to see if the baby's shoulders will get stuck during delivery.

I too failed the CALM shoulder for my son, and I opted for the C.  I didn't have miscarriages, and a complicated pregnancy to end up with a son that had shoulder damage.  I loved my scheduled  C experience. It was very calm, things could be planned out and there was no labor to deal with :)

• Loading the player...
  • imagepumpkinhead06:

I don't know if I agree totally with PP.  Yes, u/s's tend to over estimate the size of the baby, but the CALM shoulder screening is not just about size, it's making sure that the baby's vaginal delivery wont end up in shoulder dystocia.  The test measures the size of the baby, and takes into account maternal size, as well as size of mother's pubic bones, to see if the baby's shoulders will get stuck during delivery.

I too failed the CALM shoulder for my son, and I opted for the C.  I didn't have miscarriages, and a complicated pregnancy to end up with a son that had shoulder damage.  I loved my scheduled  C experience. It was very calm, things could be planned out and there was no labor to deal with :)

Yea, hence me saying I had no idea :)

Thanks for the education!  If that's the case, definitely follow your doc's advice. That isn't just a "Hey, your baby looks big" situation, IMO. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have 2 friends whose babies were estimated to be over 8 lbs at 36w. One of them was exactly 8 lbs when she went into labor naturally at 39w; the other baby was ~8.5lbs when she went into labor naturally at 40w (her doctor recommended she have a c-section at 38w). I am the opposite - my DS was always estimated to be in the 50-60th percentile (even at 36w) and that meant he was expected to weigh less than 8 lbs. He was over 9 lbs when he was born. Since the docs did not realize how big he was, they did not recommend a c-section and he was born "naturally" with the help of an epidural and an episiotomy. The delivery went very well. To be honest, if I had known ahead of time that he was going to be so big, I probably would have opted for a c - I would have worried. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. My friend with the 8.5lb baby did not want a c and actually changed doctors after hers was so forceful that it was necessary. If my doctor recommended one, I probably would have scheduled it even though I preferred a natural delivery. The estimated measurement might be very different than the baby's actual weight. It depends on what you are comfortable with and how important a "natural" delivery is for you.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"