Birth Stories
Options

Experience with induction

My little girl is due this week. Due to a 2 vessel cord, the doctors have scheduled an induction next Tuesday if she hasn't come before then.

Were you induced? What were you induced with? How long were you in labor? Did you end up getting pain meds or an epidural? If you have given birth naturally also, was being induced worse? Just want to be prepared for what is in store if she doesn't come before then!

Thanks for your help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Experience with induction

• Options
    I was induced at41 weeks. They started with cytotec at 9pm started having contractions within 30 minutes and I had three rounds of that before my water broke at 530 am. Then they started the pitocin. I had back labor and asked for my epidural after my water broke. I didnt really feel pain but I did feel pressure the whole time. My baby girl was born at 158 pm.
  • Options

I had natural with #1 and an iduction with #2.

DS was totally natural at 38 weeks. However, he came so fast (3.5 hours) that I felt like I had gotten run over my a train. Basically I got out of bed at 9:30, contractions started 30 minutes later, hospital at 12, pushing at 12:45, baby at 1:05. I could never get on top of the contractions. I know most labors are not that quick, so at the time I was freaking out that my natural birth was out the window because I couldn't do 8 more hours of that! He was horribly bruised and even though I only had a 2nd degree tear, my recovery was pretty long.

DD was an elective induction at 40 weeks. I loved it! I woke up, took a shower, shaved my legs, went to the hospital. They started the pit at 8:30 and tried to break my water a couple hours later (maybe noon?), it didn't work and I was still only 1cm, 0%. Dr comes back closer to 1, I am 4cm, 75% and she is able to break my water. 3:30 is when I was really over the whole no pain meds. If I had known how far along I was, I would have turned them down, but instead asked for stadol. I started pushing a little after 4 and she was born at 4:44.

I know my labor and pushing were longer for the induction, but it was lovely compared to my first. If we have anymore, I'll be doing home births but that's because I don't like sleeping in hospitals. The induction was really a piece of cake.

Good Luck!

***DS 10/15/08 *** DD 08/03/10****
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had pPROM with my first baby at 35w6d (my water broke early and labor never started on its own) and they used pitocin to move things along. From water breaking to birth was 13 hours, but pitocin to birth was 4 hours. With my second, I was induced with pitocin because of growth/placental issues at 37w1d. Total time from pitocin to birth was 11 hours. I progress really quickly after hitting 5cm. Both times, once I hit 5cm, I was pushing within 30 minutes. I went natural both times, no pain meds at all. I have nothing to compare it to, but they were awesome. Not easy, but definitely worth it if you really want to go med-free. I had an episiotomy with DS, but I think I only had one stitch and it wasn't bad recovery-wise. With DD, no tearing or episiotomy and my recovery was amazing. I was up and chasing my DS around the hospital room the next day  :)  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagekdiguise:
    I had pPROM with my first baby at 35w6d (my water broke early and labor never started on its own) and they used pitocin to move things along. From water breaking to birth was 13 hours, but pitocin to birth was 4 hours. With my second, I was induced with pitocin because of growth/placental issues at 37w1d. Total time from pitocin to birth was 11 hours. I progress really quickly after hitting 5cm. Both times, once I hit 5cm, I was pushing within 30 minutes. I went natural both times, no pain meds at all. I have nothing to compare it to, but they were awesome. Not easy, but definitely worth it if you really want to go med-free. I had an episiotomy with DS, but I think I only had one stitch and it wasn't bad recovery-wise. With DD, no tearing or episiotomy and my recovery was amazing. I was up and chasing my DS around the hospital room the next day  :)  Good luck!

Wow...you are my hero.  I hope to be half the trooper you were!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I was induced with both. 

#1 my water broke at 10 am 39w 6d. No contrax, started cervadil 12h later. Minimal progress.  Started pitocin about 24h after water broke. DS born 40w 1d - one min past mindnight. No pain meds. 9#, 21 inches. Separated my pelvis getting him out, so I was on crutches for about 2 w, in pain for about 6m until I got to a chiropractor. 

#2 I was induced at 41w, started induction  around 10am with foley cath. Cath was out by 2pm, so I was 4cm but still not in really active labor. Asked to have my water broken. Started pitocin which they had to keep on very low dose since I was contracting too much. 6pm: 6cm. Contrax get harder to manage. 7pm nurse sets up delivery tray since second babies always come fast. 9pm: 6cm. laboring hard, shower, ball. 11pm: 6 cm. Asked for epi. midnight anesthesiologist arrives, they check me again expecting I had made progress: 6cm. Get epi, first try misses, second try only takes on one side. Joy. They check me after about 20 min: still 6cm. They leave me alone for 2.5 hours, then ask how I feel. I lie and say I'm not feeling pressure. They come back 30 min later and say we are checking: 10cm. Give a practice push...okay, don't do that agian!! OB gets there, baby out in about 5 min. DS #2 born 41w 1d 3:45 am 9# 4oz, 22in. No repeat pelvic injury (I refused to lie on my back when pushing - delivered on my side) 

I wish I could tell you the difference, but I've never had a non-pitocin contraction:)  

• Options

You have probably had your baby by now.  But I know that others may be reading this as I did just reading through some of these stories.  Loved reading them when i am pregnant and came over tonight to read some more.

As someone else stated above.  I loved being induced.  I loved knowing ok,we are going to the hospital today and will have a baby.  Of course not how I thought things would be in the beginning, but my labor was great.  

Checked in, broke my water, started pitocin, less than 10 hours later... baby.  I had an epidural half way in.  I honestly think this was when my body finally kicked into labor.  

I was induced because worried about his heart rate.  I was overdue as well.  I had to get oxygen the whole time to keep his heart rate up (so I wouldn't be forced to have a c-section). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"