Baby Showers

your thoughts on this "sprinkle"

Had my baby weeks ago, so I haven't been on the bump in a while. But a friend is expecting her second baby boy in a few weeks, and I'm organizing a gathering to celebrate and give her a night out (and away from her toddler) at one of her favorite restaurants. It's a super small group--just 7 gals. A few questions:

I was thinking about what kind of table decorations I could do. (I'm not what you'd call crafty, so this makes my brain smoke. If I do decorate, I don't want anything overly "babyish.") I was thinking of decorating some vases and having some flower arrangements.  So, originally I was going to ask here if anyone has any table decorating ideas. 

Then I wondered if I should be paying for everyone's meals, since I am organizing this little shindig? The get together is so informal (and my budget so small) that I didn't even think of the etiquette on this until just now! Am I a horrible person/host if I don't foot the bill for all the meals? 

Your thoughts, please! Thx! 

Re: your thoughts on this "sprinkle"

• In my group, we'd have no issue w/ paying for our own meals.  What do you think these 7 peopel would expect?

Also, I feel there is a difference in "organizing" an event vs "hostessing".  You can organize a get together w/o it all falling on you to pay.  (I mean, really, w/ most events, someone has to spearhead it anyhow!).

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Yeah, it's kind of a mixed group. Four of us girls are close friends, then it's her mom, mom-in-law, and two sisters. I know her mom and sisters and am friendly with them, but not close by any means. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I definitely wouldn't think someone was paying for my meal to go out and celebrate a mutual friend's pregnancy.  I guess it depends on the 'guests'.  I think it's nice for you to plan something for your friend to be able to get away for a few hours (I have a toddler and I'm prego now too and a meal with my family and girlfriends sounds amazing lol).  GL!
  • If I was invited to this gathering I would definitely expect to pay for my own meal. At my work shower on Saturday, several people were "organizers", but I don't think there actually was a true "host" so to speak. Everyone paid for their own meals/drinks at the restaurant including myself.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Round 1, C 18 months =) Round 2! TTC #2, Cycle 1 image Oversharer extraordinaire:Blog
  • I agree with the others re everyone paying for their own meal.  You should probably pay for the guest of honor though.

I just don't see taking some elaborate table decoration into a restaurant where you're going with only 8 people.  I would maybe get the mom a nice flower arrangement that she can take home afterwards.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You're just organizing a night out, not hostessing.  I wouldn't expect you to pay at all.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageEastCoastBride:

Also, I feel there is a difference in "organizing" an event vs "hostessing".  You can organize a get together w/o it all falling on you to pay.  (I mean, really, w/ most events, someone has to spearhead it anyhow!).

This exactly.  I am often the person who sends out the emails or texts to coordinate when and where we'll meet to get together.  That doesn't make me a host, just the coordinator.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"