Washington Babies
Options

WWYD - Young Kids at Graduation

Hey ladies, I'm hoping you can give me some advice.  DH is graduating from medical school in a little over a week.  We have a VERY active 2-year-old and a 10-month-old.  The ceremony is at 10am.  It's about 2 hours I think.  I'm pretty sure that you can't take a stroller into where the seats are. The baby might sleep during the ceremony (she usually naps at that time) if I was able to leave her in the infant bucket seat, but DD#1 never stops talking (often loudly), and she will not sit still for more than 5 minutes! What am I going to do?  My in-laws will be there, but I don't want to have them helping with the kids when they'll be understandably interested in seeing their son's graduation ceremony.  My BIL/SIL will also be there, but they have 3 young kids of their own! Am I just going to have to resign myself to missing most of my husband's big day because I'm outside with my 2 year old  so she doesn't disrupt the whole thing? Do you take your "spirited" toddlers to events like this? How do you entertain them? I've never taken DD#1 to anything like this since she was a baby, basically I've basically shuddered at the thought up until now!

Re: WWYD - Young Kids at Graduation

• Options

I would treat it like you were going on an airplane, stock up on new things she hasnt seen before! Quite toys, a movie with the sound off (My DD never seems to care about no sound) or a quiet game? She loves to play with the apps on my ipod touch.

If you are really worried though, I would start asking around for a reliable sitter! A high school girl with some experience and lots of energy is always a good option for a weekend for just a few hours!

Good luck and congrats to your DH! What an accomplishment!

• Options
    imageitskacie:

If you are really worried though, I would start asking around for a reliable sitter! A high school girl with some experience and lots of energy is always a good option for a weekend for just a few hours!

Good luck and congrats to your DH! What an accomplishment!

Both of these!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think I'd even attempt to bring little kids to a graduation.  It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring for adults even.  I can't imagine trying to entertain little ones.   Could one of your friends watch the kids if you don't have a sitter?  
  • Options
    Find a sitter! We took DD to Step Sons high school graduation a couple years ago..........I spent most of the time outside. Also, DD got sick and started vomitting, but I didn't want DH to miss his son's graduation so I did as much as I could for DD, and waited.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would fid a sitter too!  This is a big accomplishment and both of you should be able to enjoy the day.  If you don't have a sitter, call your friends and tell them that you need some leads on sitters and that you won't steal their sitter on a regular basis (people can be protective of their sitters) but that you really want to go to this and it would be very long and boring for a 2 year old and 10 mo old.  Or see if one of your friends can help you out for a couple hours.  I would not bring the kids.
    imageimage Brothers! image
  • Options

I'd get a sitter. Maybe even someone who can watch the kids on campus so you could still do some family pics and not have a delay if you're going out to celebrate.

Congratualtions to your husband!  And to you as well for surving 2 LOs with him in med school :)

• Options
    I would get a sitter.  We had my brother's MBA graduation last week and did that. It wasn't a very long ceremony but the parents that were there with babies or toddlers had to keep getting up and the ones sitting near us didn't really seem like they got to enjoy the festivities. 
  • Options
    I would find a sitter, too. I'm working on this for my youngest siblings graduation next week. My LO would be so disruptive!
  • Options
    imagepreston18:

I'd get a sitter. Maybe even someone who can watch the kids on campus so you could still do some family pics and not have a delay if you're going out to celebrate.

Congratualtions to your husband!  And to you as well for surving 2 LOs with him in med school :)

Both of these.  I'd bring someone with to the ceremony who can run around with her in back or take her to a near by park but at least she will somehow have participated in the ceremony and you'll have photographic proof .

BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12
  • Options
    I thought it would be easier to get a sitter too, but when I mentioned it, DH says he wants them to go.  It's an important day for him, and I think he wants to see his girls there, to take pictures with, etc. And you, know, show em off a bit!  I do like the idea of bringing a sitter with us so that she could go outside with the girls, and I don't miss it.  Thanks Ladies!!
  • Options
    Again - no question. Sitter. That's the respectful thing to do for everyone involved in this special event.  I wouldn't even take my reserved and generally quiet 3 year old to anything like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"