September 2011 Moms
Options

WWYD?

So I had found the furniture I planned on buying from JCPennys. It is a 3 piece set for $899, and my mom said she would pay for part ($300) of it. I really am in love with this furniture and I think that it is more my style. The other day my sister e-mails me about a guy she works with, doesn't know though, that is selling a crib and dresser/changing table for $200. It is a Delta Martine Sleigh, and it is in a light wood where my preference is more for dark wood.

This has been stressing me out for a few days now...do I sacrafice what I like since it is $700 more? I keep trying to justify it, but am having a hard time finding other reasons that aren't just that I think it's ugly and I don't know if there are recalls...etc.

Any advice is more than appreciated!

Re: WWYD?

• Options
    mishelemishele member

IMHO, I would stick to your plan to get what you want.  If I'm reading this correctly, the guy selling the furniture is someone your sister works with but doesn't really know.  I'm not sure how much I would trust buying something from a complete stranger.  But then again, I'm very paranoid about things. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Naa.  Get the new stuff that you'll be happy with. Besides you aren't paying the full price since your Mom said she'd pay for some. : )
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AzraylaAzrayla member
    Id check if there were recalls and over all condition of the crib and other pieces 200 still might be a lot based on wear and tear.. if you love the original set id get the original though. The crib we have was given to us free I didn't check recall but it didn't have a drop side just a swing gate type thing so I figured it was fine.. I wasn't picky on furniture though id much rather get dd a nice toddler or children set than a crib baby room set that wont be used as long. However that's me..
  • Options

It would definately be a big savings.  If you absolutely hated the used furniture than by all means don't take something you really don't like because it is cheaper.  Also would check to see if there are recalls, check condition of furniture, etc before making a final decision.  I would just have a hard time thinking about where the rest of the money could go rather than spending more on the furniture.

• Options

I personally would get what I want. If you're really stressed out about getting a good deal, you could look on Craigslist or Ebay or something for a set that you actually like for a better price. If your sister doesn't know the guy, those types of places are just as good as buying it through him.

Also, I don't know where you're at as far as wanting more kids, but I plan on having probably two more, so the furniture is kind of an investment that I want to last not only for quality, but also something I can stand to look at for that long.

• Options

These are the crib and dresser...

• Options
    Could you paint or refinish them?
  • Options
    Before you get your heart set on the JCP set, I'd check the shipping and handling cost on each of the pieces.  I fell in love with a crib set there and had to give it up after I found out it would cost another $450 in shipping! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageladybug71010:
    Could you paint or refinish them?

I'm not sure if it's possible, but that really is something I have no interest in doing...I'm not very good at doing things like that! LOL

• Options
    Stick with what you're happier with. If you get the other set you wouldn't be thrilled to have saved that much money nor about having to put time into sprucing it up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagejpellillo:
    Before you get your heart set on the JCP set, I'd check the shipping and handling cost on each of the pieces.  I fell in love with a crib set there and had to give it up after I found out it would cost another $450 in shipping! 

Shipping is free for us when it's shipped to the store which is near by where we live, and we have multiple trucks to pick it up our selves.

• Options

I would definitely have to see it first. Do they have all the pieces? The screws? The instructions? Is it all chewed up? Is the finish damaged? How long was it used?

Too many questions for me. I'd just buy the new stuff.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It sounds like you already had a plan in place, in terms of picking out the perfect set, and how to pay for it.  If you're like me, you are probably already imagining the way that the nursery will look when you bring your LO home, and this other stuff he's offering you (while generous) is different from that image.  So, I say if you can afford it, get what you really want.  Otherwise, you may walk into the nursery every time and wish you had just gone with your instincts.
  • Options
    If you can afford it and you won't be scraping by in order to get the set you want then go for it!
    ~ Josh & Jill, married 5/2/09 ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

If you don't like it, then don't buy it.  I think that's pretty simple. 

If you're interested in maybe finding something cheaper, then check craigslist or other places to see if you can find something you like for less.  But I don't really see why you feel obligated to get something you don't even like. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks ladies, I think I already "knew" what I should do...I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't being stupid by passing up a great deal. I'm really trying to learn how to be more conservative in my spending seeing that I won't be working for a few months after LO is born.

I knew I could count on you all!

• Options
    sozay23sozay23 member
    my husband did all the research on cribs for us and I remember him saying the Delta line had the most recalls. Just one more thing to consider...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd get the one you want!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"