Pre-School and Daycare
Options

legitimate work from home jobs?

I have a 5 year old who has always been in daycare. i took a new job, more money. He is really struggeling with it. he wants me to be home more, he misses me... breaks my heart.

not working isnt an option, and im not sure if part time will pay the bills...

any one know any work from home oppertunites that are not scams?!

any suggestions?

Re: legitimate work from home jobs?

• Options
    They don't exist unless you sell something (Avon, candles, etc.).
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Options
    I've worked from home full-time for the last 5 years or so.  The only legitimate work from home jobs that I know of that are enough to pay the bills typically stem from your existing career.  I do the same job I used to do in the office from my house.  I use a remote desktop program to access my office's server so I can use our databases and files.  My job is heavily writing based, so it can be done anywhere as long as I have internet and phone. So, think about what your skills are, what your job calls for and whether your company or another company in your field might let you do part of the time or all of the time at home. 

Also, working from home, I still have to have childcare.  We have a babysitter who comes to our house every day during my work day. I am home and get more interaction and time with the kids than I would if I was gone all day, but you should remember, though, that working from home is still work.  You aren't going to be with your child all day hanging out and playing together. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    PeskyPesky member
    The ones I typically know of are 1) sales, which defeats the purpose really as it requires you to travel away from home extensively, but when not traveling, you work out of your home, 2) the ones pp mentioned such as Mary Kay, etc. and 3) the regular gigs where you have worked yourself into a position of trust with a company and they don't mind you WFH.  I think the thing to realize though is that WFH doesn't mean you can turn and play with your DS all day.  Sounds like what he is asking is for more time with you so maybe try to work out something where you can work in the office until he is done with his kindergarten and then work a bit later.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

If you have billing or marketing experience I would call local businesses and see if they have a part-time position open that would allow you to work at home.  I would definetly try to negotiate the position yourself rather than go through those make $$$ at home ads that want you to pay money upfront.

I do marketing and product development but it is for my own company (it is a family business).  I like working from home but it still requires a big commitment so I have a nanny in home for 30+ hrs a week.  I love it though b/c when one of my chickens need me they just tap on my door and I can each lunch with them, take them for a quick park trip, etc.

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know any details, but my friend works from home part-time grading papers online. I think she can work as much or as little as she wants. I do know she had to qualify, but don't know much else about it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I did PT freelance writing for my former employer for a little more than two years. I made maybe $10K the first year (when I was able to do the most work since DD1 was an infant) and it got a lot harder after that, because doing phone interviews with a child in the house can be dicey and I had to time things very carefully. But even getting a decent amount of work, I was not making anywhere near FT wages.

With two, I could never do it successfully without someone around to keep the girls entertained. I haven't taken any assignments since DD2 was born. 

IMO, legitimate opportunities largely stem from previous jobs/fields of expertise, or flexible schedules. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options
    jlw2505jlw2505 member
    Everyone that I know - myself included, who works at home FT or most of the time works for a large corporation and worked there in the office before they were able to move into a work from home/telecommuter role.  I work for a Fortune 20 company that is international and very big on the whole telecommuter roles but many either want the person to have been in the office before or are very specialized (a Nurse Line call center where you need nursing and telephonic call exp).  My kids still need to be out of the house while I'm working or have a nanny at the house with them per company policy.  My kids are in daycare/PreK and have been since they were infants.  I honestly could not do my work if they were in the house - way to distracting.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    Rink08Rink08 member
    Providing childcare in your home if possible. Currently, I don't but I'll be watching a few kids at oue house once we move and get settled again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"