January 2012 Moms

Constipated much? Come on in...

Okay..so I had already been having constipation issues before getting pregnant...and now its just completely regular for me to be constipated (ironic Confused )

Anyway..after speaking with the advice nurse and doint some research here is what I am gonna try..

Power Pudding--prunes, prune juice, apple sauce & bran (blend in a food processor until its a pudding like consistency...) can take one to two table spoons twice a day (morning/evening) with lots of water

Swiss Kriss-natural laxative safe during pregnancy (Walgreens)

Good ol fashioned fiber mix like Metamucil (I use the CVS brand, its strawberry-kiwi..tastes great!)

Snack on prunes..

Thats what I have so far, drinking the fiber isnt helping me anymore so I think I am gonna start to try the power pudding as of tonight and get a new prenatal vitamin with less iron..I have heard that more that 30 mg of iron in your prenatal vitamin could also add to constipation issues so if you arent anemic you dont need more than 30 mg a day (I am not a medical professional so dont quote me, just saying..). Anyone else have any tips/recipes/advice? Hope some of this helped Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Constipated much? Come on in...

• We seem to have the same problems.  I've always been so irregular anyway so this is just making it worse.  I used to use Senna tea when it got bad but now I've read I can't use that while pregnant so I'm onto metimucil and milk of magnesia.  I feel like a senior citizen. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker

• It seems like you are doing everything you can.  Pregnancy seriously messes with your digestive tract and itis only going to get worse. 

If Colace is safe for pregnancy, you may want to give that a shot.  It's a stool softener, but it also helps to get thigns going.  I take Flintstones vitamins because the constipation was killing me.  Ask your doc for some reccs if you don't like this idea.

Drink as much water as possible, and eat things that are high in fiber, but you knew that already.

Good luck.  And try not to strain.. you will end up with hemmies way sooner than you care to think about!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • ondjimaondjima member
    I am really constipated for a few days and then I have diarrhea. I think it may be the endo, but I think I will get some prune juice to help with the constipation, it would be awful to get hemorrhoids.
  • I was having constipation issues before getting pg as well.  I was going to an acupuncturist for TTC and he did a lot to help with the constipation (and had me change my diet, which helped immensely).  I started having issues again and he did some points to help with it and I'm good to go.  (for now, although I feel like it may not have lasted long!)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"