Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Whiskey on baby's gums- opinions

DH wants to rub whiskey on DD's gums to help with teething pain. I have an issue with this. I understand people have been using it for generations, but if DD's too young for solids, she's probably too young for Jack Daniels.

Thoughts?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Whiskey on baby's gums- opinions

• Options
    I would not choose to do that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I prefer to use vodka.....JUST KIDDING!!  Before I get flamed I would NOT use any liquor on DS!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had so many people suggest this to me. Ummmm no.
  • Options
    I wouldn't do this either.  I agree-if she's to young for solids, she's probably a bit young for whiskey.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SadPersonally I would not. We have been using infant drops. I dont think they help much though
  • Options
    hjk5000hjk5000 member
    My kid would have to be in a lot of pain for me to actually give in and try this.  I just don't feel comfortable with it either.
    PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    iris427iris427 member
    My opinion is no.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    hellz no.
  • Options
    I know that back in the day lots of people may have done this to their babies, I however would not
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't like/drink alcohol, so I would definitely not give it to LO, among many other more obvious reasons.
  • Options
    Jinsy80Jinsy80 member
    No way!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This has never even crossed my mind.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC #2 since 8/2012
    Me:28 H:34
    Me: all tests normal!
    H:  Azoospermia (Sperm count zero).
    MFI Urologist all test normal.
    Biopsy Feb. 14

****EVERYONE WELCOME****
  • Options
    Are you serious?? No way!
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

i have friends who do.  educated, successful, intelligent parents, and they have opted to do this.

granted, it has been done for generations, but we're smarter today that our parents or grandparents were and there are more options on the market for use today.  i wouldn't personally opt to use whiskey.

• Options
    My mom did this with me, my aunts did this with their kids... I am not activly going to say I'M GOING TO DO THIS RIGHT AWAY! but if she's in alot of pain I would consider it. It's not like you're pouring it down their throat. It's a pinky finger dipped in whisky and rubbed on the gums. I'm ok with it.
  • Options
    Our 40-something, on-top-of-new-research doctor is fine with a little swipe of liquor on the gums (a swipe, not a slurp). I don't know that we'll do it--cold things and homeopathic options are more our style-- but a swipe of liquor seems more natural than Baby Orajel if it comes down to it.
  • Options

imagepixieprincss:
    Our 40-something, on-top-of-new-research doctor is fine with a little swipe of liquor on the gums (a swipe, not a slurp). I don't know that we'll do it--cold things and homeopathic options are more our style-- but a swipe of liquor seems more natural than Baby Orajel if it comes down to it.

Ditto the bolded.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No. It's not something I would do.
    IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Absolutely not. A chilled teething ring works fine for us.
  • Options
    My biggest fear would be what if he/she had an allergic reaction. What are other drs and CPS going to say.
  • Options
    Try organic vanilla extract first!  My pedi recommended it and it helps!  The alcohol content is way lower and the vanilla is soothing in flavor and scent!
  • Options
    A friend of mine kept pushing and pushing me to do the same thing, because it worked with her LO. I personally don't feel comfortable with it, I don't need CPS at my door because I'm putting alcohol on my baby's gums lol. We just dealt with it, gave cuddles, cold washclothes and Sophie and tylenol if it got real bad. Once he got past the cutting part he was MUCH better!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    *steps onto gallows* I've done it out of desperation and my dad's suggestion, and it worked, better than tylenol in fact, not saying it's now my go to thing, but as a once in a while thing I see no problem with it. I agree with PP, it's not like you're pouring your LO a shot, it's a pinky finger dipped in whiskey, it's not enough to get your LO drunk.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I used it for Emma once. I was at my folk's house and didn't have my teething gel or tylenol. A little on her gums and she wasn't screaming in a matter of minutes. Now, DH and I don't keep liquor in our house so it's not our go to option. I don't want my girls hurting when they are cutting teeth, that's just me. Cuddling and snuggles can only do so much and if they are hurting, me hugging them isn't going to take the pain away.

To each their own. If it's not something you're comfortable with then don't do it. For me, it was a last resort (or because I forgot her supplies) it's what we chose to do. Don't let someone pressure you into using their methods for your children. If you're not cool with it then let them know it.

• Options
    If everything else fails, I would rather swipe a pinky dipped in whiskey than give her Baby Orajel with benzocaine in it.  Luckily for us she teethes like a champ, but it's not crossed off of my list.

however long the night, dawn will break.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"