LGBT Parenting

humidifiers in baby rooms - question

So we have finished our birth classes and last night took an extra class about Happiest Baby on the Block. I am sure we can be proved wrong....and we were thinking no on a white noise machine.  That said, we registered for a humidifier, just because it seems like "we should."  Then, I started worrying about mold and other things - even though we run one (cool air) in our room all winter and, yes, have gotten addicted to the noise.  So....what are your experiences with or thoughts about one (yes the cute frog one) for babies' rooms?  Thanks much.

Re: humidifiers in baby rooms - question

• RB would never get through the winter without one - she absolutely needs it, we even travel with it.  And we do also have one for Sprout's room, but its more for the white noise.
  • Gwen definitely needs hers anytime she gets sick.

Also, we never thought we'd use a white noise machine, but then we noticed that after a summer using fans or A/Cs, which make a certain amount of noise, Gwen wasn't sleeping as well without them. So we started using the white noise machine, and boom, better sleep! 

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...
  • Loading the player...
  • We run ours every night in the winter for the steady stream of colds Eli brings home from daycare--makes a huge difference!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes and Yes.  We have a humidifier (the frog one) and a white noise machine.  We would be lost without either.  I must say the frog is not noisy at all and I don't think if provides the white noise you would want.  We have a brookstone white noise machine and it is great.  One of the best parts is that it provides a similar environment where ever you are.  It really helps when traveling.  E also needs the humidifier when she has a cold (which was pretty much all winter)
  • My gf got one for DD's room which we used nightly the past winter and I have to say I think she was sick less! So either it's helping or she's used to all the bugs at her school now, ha! Yeah right! I do think even when she was sick it helped with her congestion.

The humidifier we have is pretty quiet and DD is a super light sleeper, so I have been using a white noise machine in her room for a long time. I tried the whole run the vacuum while they're napping, etc etc, when she was an infant...yeah, didn't work out so well for me. So I have resigned myself to having a light sleeper and using a white noise machine, even during naptime to drown out the outside noise.

• 2brides2brides member

We only use a humidifier in their room when someone in sick because I do worry about the mold (plus I am too lazy to clean it our properly as often as it needs to be done.) We use a white noise machine from Brookstone. We originally bought it because the kids' room is across the hall from ours and they were not going to sleep/waking because of the tv noises/talking from our room. And while it is still true that we use it to block noise, it also is a signifier for sleep (we use it at bed time and nap time.)

https://www.brookstone.com/tranquil-moments-sleep-sound-machines-for-baby.html?his=2~46337~2~root_category%40kwd~white+noise&bkiid=searchResults|C4CategoryProdList1FDT|7135745

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My mom gave us this.  We play the 'ocean' noise when she first goes to sleep.  It plays for up to 45 minutes.

We also use our humidifer when she a cold.

• we have a cool mist humidifier that we only use when he's sick, and no white noise machine--but we're really lucky and he's a ridiculously good sleeper so it isn't necessary for us.
  • Thanks everyone.  I think we will keep the humidifier on the registry and wait and see on the white noise machine.
  • Full disclosure, I'm a certified HBOTB educator (or CHBE :)

I think that your plan to get a humidifier and wait and see on the white noise machine makes sense. Another option is to have some sort of music player (CD, iPod, mp3 player) with a white noise track (HBOTB DVD set comes with one, or you can download them) if you need it quickly. A lot of people also figure out that vacuums, hairdyers, etc are also white noise which helps calm and maintain sleep for a lot of babies.

Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"