July 2011 Moms

Do I have to wear black to a viewing?

DH's grandma passed away this morning. They are having a viewing on Sunday and the funeral is Monday. I bought a black dress from Motherhood to wear on Monday but I am not sure what to wear to the viewing.

Should I buy another all-black dress? Or should I go with something a different color?

TIA.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do I have to wear black to a viewing?

• I don't think you have to, but I probably would. Unless you have a dark navy blue or something similar to wear
  • Sorry to hear about your DH's grandmother.  Viewings/wakes are typically a little less formal than the actual funeral.  You don't have to wear black but I would definitely stick with dark colors and subdued prints (grey, navy blue, etc). 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry for your loss.

As long as you wear something somewhat dress-up-able that doesn't scream "hello spring!", I would say you're good to go. Wink

To my g-ma's viewing, I wore a black skirt and a red dressy sweater.

So, I would say that if you already have a black dress, save yourself a trip to buy another dress, and just wear the same dress.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• imageTristaD81:
    Sorry to hear about your DH's grandmother.  Viewings/wakes are typically a little less formal than the actual funeral.  You don't have to wear black but I would definitely stick with dark colors and subdued prints (grey, navy blue, etc). 

Agreed...just avoid bright colors and you'll be fine.  Sorry about you and your husband's loss.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Arwen31Arwen31 member

I'm sorry for your loss. It is always so sad when a grandparent passes away. :(

Do you have any black pants? Maybe you could wear those and a nice top/sweater to the viewing and wear your dress to the funeral?

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aw, I'm sorry about DH's grandma.

I think either the funeral dress or really anything nice would be okay for the viewing. I had to go to one about a month ago and was all freaked out about what to wear. I ended up with a pair of grey slacks and a black sweater and was one of the most somberly dressed people there. Most of the attendants just looked like they were going to church.

• I'd wear the same dress to both.  People will understand, you're pregnant and not going to buy 2 outfits to wear once each!

I'm pretty sure people won't notice that you wore it to both anyways... do you notice
    what outfit others are wearing at a funeral??    (sorry if this posts weird, it's the first time I've tried to edit a post)

• cburitzcburitz member
    imagelr78:

I'd wear the same dress to both.  People will understand, you're pregnant and not going to buy 2 outfits to wear once each!

I'm pretty sure people won't notice that you wore it to both anyways... do you notice
    what outfit others are wearing at a funeral??    (sorry if this posts weird, it's the first time I've tried to edit a post)

I'm not sure what everyone else is going to wear. DH's family is pretty religious/traditional so I'm thinking everyone will go formal. DH is going to be a paulbearer at the funeral so he will wear a suit both days. I'd rather be too formal than be too casual...

I don't have ANY dressy maternity clothes (other than the dress I bought). I'm tempted to wear the same dress both days but I think I may run out and see if I can get another dress in dark blue/grey that isn't too pricey. It's just cheaper to get a dress than to buy a skirt/pants plus a top.

• I'm sorry for your family's loss.

I think it's fine to wear the same dress twice.  I certainly would.  You can change it up with different shoes and accessories.  People understand that you are pregnant and don't expect you to have an unlimited wardrobe at your disposal.

Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • ejs207ejs207 member

I'm sorry for your loss.

I think it's fine to wear the same dress twice. (Esp. since you're pregnant and people will understand you don't have your full wardrobe at your disposal.) Maybe just change up your accessories and shoes a little bit.

And I don't think you have to wear black to the viewing or the funeral, just appropriately formal. I don't know the circumstances surrounding your loss, but my grandmother wore a lovely pink suit to my grandfather's recent funeral. He passed after a long illness and while we still miss him, we are glad he is no longer suffering. He always loved her in bright colors and she wanted to celebrate his life.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Wear whatever you want, just stay away from bright clothers as PPs said.

My condolences to your and your DH.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Jay_CeeJay_Cee member
    imagecburitz:
    imagelr78:

I'd wear the same dress to both.  People will understand, you're pregnant and not going to buy 2 outfits to wear once each!

I'm not sure what everyone else is going to wear. DH's family is pretty religious/traditional so I'm thinking everyone will go formal. DH is going to be a paulbearer at the funeral so he will wear a suit both days. I'd rather be too formal than be too casual...

I don't have ANY dressy maternity clothes (other than the dress I bought). I'm tempted to wear the same dress both days but I think I may run out and see if I can get another dress in dark blue/grey that isn't too pricey. It's just cheaper to get a dress than to buy a skirt/pants plus a top.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I think you can wear the same dress to both the viewing and the funeral. I'm certain no one will be taking note of what you wear. 

J+C est. 6.22.08
    Adele Lorraine b. 7.13.11

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sorry for your guys' loss. I think the same dress would work just fine, but I know how you feel with wearing the same thing back to back. Maybe you could find a non maternity outfit that will work for after baby is born too.
  • jdm7jdm7 member
    No, you don't have to wear black to the viewing(s). For my grandmother's funeral I dressed nice, and I think the only black I had was my pants.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would wear the same dress but accessorize it up very differently.  Like for the funeral the black dress with chunky necklace (statement piece) nice bracelet.  IDK what kind of dress it is, but if you can belt it that would be cute.  (I love belted dresses over bumps).

For the viewing I'd wear the same dress but buy a scarf and different bracelets, maybe even different shoes.

Same dress...different look.  Mission accomplished.

Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm sorry about DH's grandma :(

You don't need to wear black for a viewing, you don't even have to wear black for a funeral.  Like others said, I probably wouldn't wear the brightest thing in your closet, but as long as it's subdued, you'll be just fine.

(Not that it necessarily means anything, but my grandfather was and my uncle is an undertaker.  The funeral home was passed from one to the other, they prepared the bodies, and did all the funeral arrangements and greeting of family members.  My mom lived in the funeral home for awhile.  I was forced or even encouraged to wear black to viewings or funerals of family members--even for my grandpa's when he died.  Just that even coming from a family of people in the funeral business, it wasn't even brought up.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"