September 2011 Moms
Options

Pay those student loans off...

...with your breast milk! 

https://jezebel.com/5803416/the-breast-milk-black-market

I had no idea people did this.  What do you think?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pay those student loans off...

• Options
    I think this is pretty much as blood/plasma donation. You can be altruistic and donate to the blood bank or red cross or you can go and sell your plasma and make some money. In a perfect world everyone would just donate and no one would need to buy milk but not everyone is as generous as others. Its not hurting anyone so I don't see the harm in it. However if it came down to it I would donate milk or go to a milk bank if I were in the position to need milk.
    September 2011 Mom's Siggy Challenge- Celebrate! imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Didn't read the whole article, but I got through part of it.  If I needed it, I would have no problem using donated milk from a reputable organization (hospital, etc.), or from a *close* friend who I knew and trusted.  But I can't imagine buying breastmilk off craigslist.  Ick factor aside, that just doesn't sound safe to me--if there's no screening process, you have no idea how healthy this person is (or if it's even really breastmilk they're selling you).  No thanks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    quezzoquezzo member
    I'm actually really sad this doesn't sound legit. I would totally do it. Lord knows I have enough student loan debt!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think the problem is that nobody gets to just "use" donated milk. They have to pay for it, and they have to pay a LOT for it. Just like when you donate blood, if you are in a car accident and you need a transfusion, they aren't just "giving" you blood, they are tacking the price onto the bill for sure.

Personally if I had this issue I'd just use formula. But it's too bad that women who would like to give breastmilk have to resort to dangerous tactics to do so.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    quezzoquezzo member
    imagebackinpgh:

I think the problem is that nobody gets to just "use" donated milk. They have to pay for it, and they have to pay a LOT for it. Just like when you donate blood, if you are in a car accident and you need a transfusion, they aren't just "giving" you blood, they are tacking the price onto the bill for sure.

Personally if I had this issue I'd just use formula. But it's too bad that women who would like to give breastmilk have to resort to dangerous tactics to do so.

It does seem odd that other people/organizations can make a profit from your breast milk and bodily fluids but you can't. I guess you can sell plasma, which is something I saw people do in college, but I'm sure they aren't giving you anywhere near the amount of money they are charging people for it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I dont see anything wrong with it personally.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imagequezzo:
    I'm actually really sad this doesn't sound legit. I would totally do it. Lord knows I have enough student loan debt!

THIS!!!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd need to pump a hell of a lot of breast milk to pay off my student loans!
  • Options

imagedawn3513:
    I think this is pretty much as blood/plasma donation. You can be altruistic and donate to the blood bank or red cross or you can go and sell your plasma and make some money. In a perfect world everyone would just donate and no one would need to buy milk but not everyone is as generous as others. Its not hurting anyone so I don't see the harm in it. However if it came down to it I would donate milk or go to a milk bank if I were in the position to need milk.

I actually looked into this the last time around, and the thing that I thought was crazy was that if you donate to a milk bank, they are making a huge profit off of it by selling it to people for something like $8-10/ounce, even for babies in the hospital. So whether you're donating or selling it, someone is paying for it on the other end either way. I always thought that was strange.. it's not really a "Milk Bank" the same way as blood or plasma donations, etc. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"