Military Families

So if you're AD, are there any birth options?

This is a question I'm going to ask at my first appointment too, but I'm new to this and I was hoping you ladies could help me get some idea... I'm active duty, so I don't have the Tricare standard option to pick my own OB etc and just have a co-pay (which sounds awesome, btw!).

I'm hoping I'll just love the MTF and it won't be an issue, but if I'm not happy with the care I get, do I have any options (well, besides paying for everything out of my own pocket)?

Re: So if you're AD, are there any birth options?

• Unfortunately, usually no.  And even paying out of pocket is not allowed.  I don't know where you'll be delivering, but I had a great MTF experience with my first.  Good Luck!
  • It really depends on where you are.  There are no OBs here at our base.  Everyone is refered to an off post doctor and delivers at a local hospital.  Those soldiers can ask for a specific doc as long as they are in network.  At the base 30 minutes away, soldiers use the doctors on post and the base hospital. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes. You always have options. It may be hard as hell to get Tricare to agree to things, but it is possible.

I didn't like my doc, so I changed clinics and requested a midwife. I didn't like the original one, so I asked around and started booking with the one that was recommended. I didn't want to get pushed around during labor so I hired a doula to help be an advocate for me. I was not able to keep my midwife because I had to be induced at 35 weeks, but I discussed induction options with the OB doc. He agreed to my choice of induction drugs.

I took all the classes offered and my MTF, I researched the L&D policies so that I knew what was allowed and what was not, I spoke with Tricare reps and patient advocates regarding how to switch providers and clinics. I took classes through the local community for things not offered at my MTF. I came to every appointment with a list of questions so that I wouldn't forget what needed to be asked.

Anyone that says "I hated my doc and my MTF" probably did very little research and isn't a proactive person. We may be AD, but we still have patient rights.

I do know someone that is AD and delivered at a local birthing center instead of the MTF. Tricare is only covering part of the bill though. She sent a packet to Tricare with information and articles about how birthing centers and midwives are much less expensive than a hospital birth.

• I had both my boys while AD and had two different experiences.  It really just depends on your location.  With my first we were overseas, had all my prenatal care at the AD hospital but when delivery time rolled around had to transported to civilian hospital due to high risk factors.  With my 2nd, everything went normally, had my prenatal care at 2 different bases b/c we PCSed in the middle of my pregnancy, normal delivery.

Yes, you are pregnant.  BUT you are still AD.  It would make certain things more difficult if you were to receive care elsewhere.  Profiles, restricted duty, etc.  It would make communication more difficult concerning these areas.  It really is not that bad, at least it wasn't for me.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Oh, and OP...I forgot something.

Ask around for OB recommendations at your MTF. Once you find one that you like, contact them directly at their clinic (leave a message for them to call you). In my experience dealing with docs and other healthcare professionals, if you go to them and say "I have researched you out and I believe that you will be the best fit for my healthcare needs, would you please add me to your panel of patients" 99% of the time they will do it. All the provider has to do is contact whoever controls their patient panel and specifically list for you to be added. This is how I picked my doc and my son's doc.

• This was so helpful - thanks for all the answers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"