North Carolina Babies

NC beach recommendations...

We are planning on taking a mini vacation to the beach in July, but we have never been to the beaches here in NC.  Can anyone recommend a beach or one to stay away from? Any hotel recs? Any activities? TIA!

Re: NC beach recommendations...

• I grew up going to Sunset Beach. It's right by the SC boarder and the water is a lot calmer than the upper OBX in NC.

We always go to North Myrtle/Cherry Grove now and stay in a condo. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • We always go to the Outer Banks, anywhere on the OBX.  For quick trips we stay in Kill Devil Hills and stay at the Colony Inn IV in the tower building (fairly inexpensive in comparison, large rooms, newly renovated, nice for the money).

We have gone to Wrightsville twice for a day trip and it was nice.

I was not all that fond of Carolina/Kure beach.  Could just be me though.  That was a day trip as well so we didn't stay anywhere.

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I love the outer banks and carolina beach is nice too. Outer banks has more stuff to do other then the beaach but if u are looking for more of a quiet time at the beach thing thats what i like about carolina beach. we go there every year with my inlaws and stay in a house so i cant recommend anything.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • MereBMereB member
    Wrightsville Beach is wonderful.  It's so clean and I swear the water is the clearest in the state there (I have no idea why).  I can think of 2 hotels off the top of my head: The Blockade Runner and the Holiday Inn Sunspree.  Both are very nice.  There's also the Surf Suites which had a kitchenette, they are also nice.  It's a small island with some great local restaurants.  It is pretty much part of Wilmington, which has tons to do.  You can do the historic downtown thing and head back to the beach.
  • Holden Beach is wonderful! Very family friendly and smaller.  Wasn't crowded for us at all.  We go every year.  If you go, make sure to find provisions...they make the BEST shrimp burgers.  Best burger I've ever had!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I grew up going to Holden Beach...not a lot there, but it's PERFECT for a family vacation. Only has a couple places to eat, one waterslide place, one putt-putt, one (maybe two) icecream places. It's definitely a place I would take my family. I also love Wrightsville Beach (but its pricey during the summer)...or Topsail Island!! :)
  • imagefutureJHL:
    Holden Beach is wonderful! Very family friendly and smaller.  Wasn't crowded for us at all.  We go every year.  If you go, make sure to find provisions...they make the BEST shrimp burgers.  Best burger I've ever had!

We vacation at Ocean Isle.  It's a quiet beach.  There are a few restaurants on the "island" itself but not much more.  However, North Myrtle is roughly about a 15 minute drive. So, I think it's the best of both worlds.  :-)

FutureJHL is right. The Provision Company has awesome shrimp burgers!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would check out Emerald Isle.  It's very quiet and family friendly, but there are things to do there and places to eat.  I grew up going there.

Now we go to Atlantic Beach, which is really close to EI, but I hesitate to send you there b/c it's even quieter and there's not as much to do.  Which we love, but I know is not for everyone. 

I can't recommend places to stay b/c my parents and my IL's both own places down there so we've never had to rent. 

ETA:  it's also a shorter drive than going to the OBX, which is a plus (not that I don't love the OBX, we actually lived there once, but it's a long trip)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Honestly, I do not think I have been to a bad NC beach. I have enjoyed Corolla on the OBX, Atlantic Beach/Beaufort area, Carolina Beach, Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach to name a few.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I very rarely post here but saw NC beach and had to respond!  Our family has gone to Atlantic Beach every year since I was born and it's fabulous!  It's very nice and quiet, so if you are looking for a "tourist destination"-Atlantic Beach is not it.  But some neat places to visit are Ft. Macon (a civil war fort), Pine Knoll Shores Aquarium, Morehead City (lots of nice restaurants and museums) and Beaufort (gorgeous, historic city. many museums and historic outings) Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"