December 2011 Moms
Options

Advice - should I play kickball?

Hi December Moms!

I'm wondering whether anyone can help me with an opinion...

I am 10 weeks pregnant and on a kickball team.  Everything has been fine so far.  Getting hit with a ball is a risk when you're running the bases but hasn't happenned to me so far.  This may also be because I'm a girl.  Or because my kicks tend to be caught. :)   

Anyway, there's a summer league starting, which runs June - August and I need to tell the team whether I'm going to play or not.  This is my first pregnancy, so I really don't know what I'm going to feel like or whether I should be playing months 3-5.  I've heard no softball but does the same go for kickball?

Yes, I will probably have to call my doctor, I was just wondering what you all thought.

Thanks!

Re: Advice - should I play kickball?

• Options
    I hate to be a party pooper but IMHO its NOT a good idea to play a sport where there's a possibility that you could get hit in the stomach (even if it hasn't happened yet). 
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options

I play soccer (I was on the team before I got KU, we play in a very low-key setting, and I have my midwife's blessing) right now and our season is almost over. I REALLY want to play this summer -- the season runs July-end of August. Then I thought about being 20+ weeks pregnant and running in the stifling summer heat, not to mention the fear I will have of getting hit with a ball/accidentally kicked when I have an obvious bump. Not worth the risk/anxiety. As much as it sucks, I'll be hanging up my cleats for a while in the next few weeks. Kickball is not the same as soccer, but still has similar risks and associated discomforts -- maybe you can be the best cheerleader your team has ever had until next spring season?

Or maybe your OB will tell you it's just fine? :) Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I probably wouldn't.  I play field hockey spring-fall usually, but I won't be playing this year.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    I wouldn't. The possibility of getting hit in the stomach is too much risk for my liking. I'd rather sit the sidelines and make Gatorade mix.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Breastfeeding and pregnant!
  • Options

I gues I'm the rebel here.... I play sand volleyball and will all summer. My OB has cleared it as long as I don't dive after the ball.

I say judge how you feel and don't play as hard as you normally do.

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I used to belong to a league, too!  Personally, I wouldn't do it.  Although it didn't happen very often, there were a few times where I got pelted pretty hard.  I'd also be paranoid about tripping and falling or something like that.  But I would ask you doctor and get their opinion on it, too.  That's why they get paid the big bucks!
    Our little man is finally here!

• Options
    imageMrvswife:

I gues I'm the rebel here.... I play sand volleyball and will all summer. My OB has cleared it as long as I don't dive after the ball.

I say judge how you feel and don't play as hard as you normally do.

I'm with you, I would still play but just listen to your body. 

Big Sisters 2/10 & 12/11
    Little Brother 3/1/18
  • Options
    My physician told me to avoid contact sports, and that means kickball and soccer-like activities.  
    Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
  • Options
    I would say no.  I was playing kickball once (just a fun pick up game with church one afternoon) and I got hit so incredibly hard in the lower abdomen one time that I was doubled over.  I laughed it off, "You nailed my uterus!" but that would be pretty serious in a pregnancy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    NovOwlNovOwl member
    I quit my dodgeball team (that's a no brainer) but I was surprised to hear my doctor say I had to quit volleyball too.... it sucks but I wouldn't want to take the risk.
  • Options
    NO!!  I had to quit volleyball, soccer, and softball.  It only takes ONE time and the baby is gone.....not worth the risk for me.  I was told not even to run!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"