School-Aged Children

Night Shift Mamas?

Hi everyone!  This obviously isn't my home board, but I thought I'd post this here to see if any of you had some input.

There's a supervisor position coming open at work, and DH and I are discussing my applying for it.  It would be 3 nights a week (4 nights one week a month), from 7p-7am.  I'd actually be gone more like 6p-8:30a (same hours I'm away now, but I do day shift).  The money is significantly better; I'm guaranteed my hours, which is a huge bonus I don't have now.  But, the hours would obviously be a huge change for us.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there works a similar schedule.  How does it work for you and your family?  How much do you feel like you miss at home (putting LO to bed, getting LO up in the morning, family dinner, sports/school functions, etc.)?  Do you wish you had different hours?

I'd hate for this to be good for us now, but be something we regret doing when DS is older.  So, we're trying to plan ahead.  TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Night Shift Mamas?

• My sister works nights now, Wed, THurs, Friday and Sat. While i think she enjoys her schedule now, as her dd is getting older it is taking a toll, she isnt getting nearly enough sleep.

Will your child go into daycare while you sleep?

• Yes, DS goes to a daycare that is extremely flexible with us.  He'd be there whatever days I needed to be sleeping, for whatever hours we'd need.  It's actually a wonderful set up as far as that goes.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehillek5:
    Yes, DS goes to a daycare that is extremely flexible with us.  He'd be there whatever days I needed to be sleeping, for whatever hours we'd need.  It's actually a wonderful set up as far as that goes.

Is there a possiblity for you to go back to your old position if things dont work out? Id say give it a try, sounds like a great oppertunity.

• There would be potential, but it might not be an immediate opening.  It would be waiting for another day shift spot to open up once they've filled my empty place.  But, we're thinking we'll give it a shot.  It is a great opportunity.
  • Good Luck!
  • Thanks!
  • Don't usually look at this board, but I have 2 teenage step-children so I thought what the heck?  Anyway, I work night shift and also have a 9 1/2 month old son.  My DH also works night shift.  My schedule is MTFSS one week and WR the next.  6p-6a.  While there are a few benefits, I do miss putting DS to bed the nights I'm at work.  Luckily my DH works a different schedule for the most part, but there are 3 night every 2 weeks where DS has to sleep at someone else's house (relatives or friends) and I hate that, but we do what we have to do.  The benefits are:  having days off during the week to get stuff done--stores aren't nearly as busy during day on weekdays.  Also--we figured if we work a normal day shift, by the time you get home you maybe see LO for a couple of hours before they go to bed and usually you are busy with dinner/household chores/etc. that you may not get to spend quality time with them.  On my schedule I get to spend 7 days every 2 weeks with him and I still see him for a couple hours on the days I work.  I just get less sleep, but it's definitely worth it.  So, I guess I would say to give it a try, especially if you have daycare worked out.  That is by far the hardest thing for us do deal with.
  • I hated night shift.  I gained 25lb in the 3 years I worked nights.   it was convenient with young children... but as the kids get older, it get tougher.  my sil has teens and finds it easier then.  I'm sure this varies from person to person and situation to situation.  my advice, if you're not a night person, don't do it.  I loved the job... critical care.... was fine while at work... the first year wasn't bad... the second year I started to get really cranky and nasty. I was snapping at my kids b/c I wasn't getting enough rest.  I am amorning person.  not a night person. it wasn't for me. 

GL 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"