Military Families

getting ID while DH is at OCS?

DH is currently at Navy OCS. DS and I are now enrolled in DEERS, but I need to get my ID card by the end of this month. I read online that I will need a POA to get one without DH. Does anyone know if a basic POA is all I need, or if there is a specific POA I should have? I called the reserve base closest to me and the guy I spoke to said the basic POA I have should work, but he sounded very unsure. I was hoping maybe one of you ladies had experience with this. TIA! 
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: getting ID while DH is at OCS?

• I would call the DEERS office and check with them.  Also you might want to ask to make an appointment at the office because I know they get filled up pretty quickly.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • A basic POA should work. In my experience it's usually better to get the specific POA and check off anything you might need. Specific POA generally carries more weight as some places are wary of basic POA signed by servicemembers in case, well, their spouse is taking advantage of the POA. But for DEERS, that should not be an issue.
  • Loading the player...
  • A basic POA should be fine.  My ID expires soon and my DH is deployed - we were told basic POA was all I will need to get a new one :).

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• When I had to get my ID made while my husband was deployed 3 years ago, a basic was fine.  This deployment they told me I needed a special POA specifically for ID cards.  It might depend on where you are?  I would try your basic POA, but it's possible they'll tell you to get a special.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • imageBrit242:
    When I had to get my ID made while my husband was deployed 3 years ago, a basic was fine.  This deployment they told me I needed a special POA specifically for ID cards.  It might depend on where you are?  I would try your basic POA, but it's possible they'll tell you to get a special.

Just a side vent.  But I feel like a basic POA is all but worthless these days.  EVERYONE wants a "special one".  Annoys the crap out of me!!!  Super Angry

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Thank you for all the replys ladies. I think I'm just going to give the one I have a shot, the worse they can do is turn me away.I will just cross that bridge when I get to it! DH has not received liberty to call yet, so I really hope I don't have any problems.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagesweetpea2003:

imageBrit242:
    When I had to get my ID made while my husband was deployed 3 years ago, a basic was fine.  This deployment they told me I needed a special POA specifically for ID cards.  It might depend on where you are?  I would try your basic POA, but it's possible they'll tell you to get a special.

Just a side vent.  But I feel like a basic POA is all but worthless these days.  EVERYONE wants a "special one".  Annoys the crap out of me!!!  Super Angry

Yeah it's annoying!  Last deployment a basic covered everything I needed, even sold my husbands car with one.  This deployment I need a special IDs, a special for Finance, a special just to pick up LO's passport, and a special for housing.  And I have a basic to hopefully cover everything else.  I wonder why they're becoming more strict with them...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • I work at PSD where we also issue ID cards and a basic POA will work or a signed DD1172 from your husband given to him from where he is currently at will also work for 90 days from the day of signature.
    Photobucket Mrs. Roro
  • Definitely depends on the base. Here you need a PSD POA. He should be able to get the form and mail it to you though and then its a non-issue.:) Just ask next time he calls. When we went through , I hate form by the end of the week after a Sunday phone call.:)
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"