April 2011 Moms

POLL: How neglectful are you?

So, I'm kind of bored tonight, so I thought I'd put together this poll to see what everyone's opinions are on some things.  Obviously, "neglectful" is meant to be tongue-in--cheek.  Specifically, which of these things would you do?

- Leave your baby inside your house while you go outside to check the mail

- Leave your baby in your apartment to go to the next-door apartment (assume it's a big apartment complex) 

- Leave your baby in your house as you work in the yard (again, assume the monitor works and that you're doing quiet gardening and not something loud like mowing) 

- Leave your baby inside to run to the neighbor's house to borrow a cup of sugar or for some other quick errand (assume the baby monitor works that far)

- Leave your baby in the car while you pump your gas

- Leave your baby in the car while you pick up your dry cleaning

- Leave your one month old baby lying on the couch while you grab a glass of water from the kitchen

- Leave your one month old baby on the changing table while you walk across the room to get something out of the closet 

- Let your baby fuss (but not cry) for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO)

-  Let your baby actually cry for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO)

Can anyone think of any other moral dilemmas like these?  I actually met someone during a summer internship who used to turn their cell phone on speakerphone and go to the restaurant downstairs in their apartment complex.  The baby monitor didn't reach, so they thought this was an acceptable way of getting around that.  Unbelievable.  And this guy went to Harvard.
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage

Re: POLL: How neglectful are you?

• For me: 

- Leave your baby inside your house while you go outside to check the mail Yes - Leave your baby in your apartment to go to the next-door apartment (assume it's a big apartment complex) I would probably go knock on the door, but I wouldn't go in the apartment - Leave your baby in your house as you work in the yard (again, assume the monitor works and that you're doing quiet gardening and not something loud like mowing) Probably.  We keep our little "garden" on our patio, so I'd work on that with my son inside. - Leave your baby inside to run to the neighbor's house to borrow a cup of sugar or for some other quick errand (assume the baby monitor works that far) Honestly, I probably would if I weren't going to go inside. - Leave your baby in the car while you pump your gas Yes. - Leave your baby in the car while you pick up your dry cleaning No. - Leave your one month old baby lying on the couch while you grab a glass of water from the kitchen Yes, although I probably shouldn't.  I worry he's going to roll off. - Leave your one month old baby on the changing table while you walk across the room to get something out of the closet  No, I don't do this.  Makes me too nervous. - Let your baby fuss (but not cry) for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO)  If he's not actually crying, I'll let him fuss for a bit to see if he puts himself to sleep.  He does a lot of the time. 

-  Let your baby actually cry for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) No, but I don't really have an issue with people who do.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage

• - Leave your baby inside your house while you go outside to check the mail- yes

- Leave your baby in your apartment to go to the next-door apartment (assume it's a big apartment complex)- yes, if I wasn't going in. Not to actually visit though!

- Leave your baby in your house as you work in the yard (again, assume the monitor works and that you're doing quiet gardening and not something loud like mowing) - yes, I wouldn't even need the monitors... I could hear him through the windows

- Leave your baby inside to run to the neighbor's house to borrow a cup of sugar or for some other quick errand (assume the baby monitor works that far)- no, my neighbor is across 5 acres. :)

- Leave your baby in the car while you pump your gas- yes

- Leave your baby in the car while you pick up your dry cleaning- no

- Leave your one month old baby lying on the couch while you grab a glass of water from the kitchen- no

- Leave your one month old baby on the changing table while you walk across the room to get something out of the closet- no, I won't leave within arms reach on the changing table

- Let your baby fuss (but not cry) for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO)- yes, he's just a noisy sleeper and 1/2 the time when he's "fussing" he's really still sound asleep and just whimpering while he's dreaming or kicking around. Even if he is just fussy he'll often fall back asleep unless he's really hungry or wet.

-  Let your baby actually cry for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO)- nope. Not a CIO fan, nonetheless the fact that he's too young.

photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • - Leave your baby inside your house while you go outside to check the mail. YES

- Leave your baby in your apartment to go to the next-door apartment (assume it's a big apartment complex) NO

- Leave your baby in your house as you work in the yard (again, assume the monitor works and that you're doing quiet gardening and not something loud like mowing) NO, but only because I live in a Condo and we have no yard.  Maybe I would if I had a house and my daughter actually napped.

- Leave your baby inside to run to the neighbor's house to borrow a cup of sugar or for some other quick errand (assume the baby monitor works that far)
     YES
    - Leave your baby in the car while you pump your gas YES

- Leave your baby in the car while you pick up your dry cleaning NO

- Leave your one month old baby lying on the couch while you grab a glass of water from the kitchen NO, she squirms WAY too much

- Leave your one month old baby on the changing table while you walk across the room to get something out of the closet YES only because I have raised sides on the table.

- Let your baby fuss (but not cry) for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) YES

-  Let your baby actually cry for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) NO, not until she is older.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • - Leave your baby inside your house while you go outside to check the mail I've never had a mailbox that wasn't right outside the front door, so yes. I don't even have to step out of the house.

- Leave your baby in your apartment to go to the next-door apartment (assume it's a big apartment complex) No.

- Leave your baby in your house as you work in the yard (again, assume the monitor works and that you're doing quiet gardening and not something loud like mowing) Yes. I go outside and throw the ball to my dog with DS inside.

- Leave your baby inside to run to the neighbor's house to borrow a cup of sugar or for some other quick errand (assume the baby monitor works that far). No

- Leave your baby in the car while you pump your gas Yes

- Leave your baby in the car while you pick up your dry cleaning No. This is why half my errands don't get done anymore

- Leave your one month old baby lying on the couch while you grab a glass of water from the kitchen No, we have a swing right next to the couch and his PNP behind it, so if he needs to be put down, then he goes in one of those.

- Leave your one month old baby on the changing table while you walk across the room to get something out of the closet No

- Let your baby fuss (but not cry) for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) Yes, although I have literally never been successful with this.

-  Let your baby actually cry for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) No.

Can anyone think of any other moral dilemmas like these?  I actually met someone during a summer internship who used to turn their cell phone on speakerphone and go to the restaurant downstairs in their apartment complex.  The baby monitor didn't reach, so they thought this was an acceptable way of getting around that.  Unbelievable.  And this guy went to Harvard.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • vilarovilaro member
    - Leave your baby inside your house while you go outside to check the mail Yes, box is right outside my door.
     - Leave your baby in your apartment to go to the next-door apartment (assume it's a big apartment complex) Not a chance, unless I had my monitor with me and it would have to be for something very quick. - Leave your baby in your house as you work in the yard (again, assume the monitor works and that you're doing quiet gardening and not something loud like mowing) Yes but as you said, with monitor.
     - Leave your baby inside to run to the neighbor's house to borrow a cup of sugar or for some other quick errand (assume the baby monitor works that far) o, would feel too uncomfortable doing that. - Leave your baby in the car while you pump your gas Yes. - Leave your baby in the car while you pick up your dry cleaning No. - Leave your one month old baby lying on the couch while you grab a glass of water from the kitchen No, unless she's inside the boppy while on the couch. - Leave your one month old baby on the changing table while you walk across the room to get something out of the closet  Yes, my changing table has sides (little rails), so there's no way she could fall off.
     - Let your baby fuss (but not cry) for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO)  Fussing in her sleep - absolutely. Crying - definite no.

-  Let your baby actually cry for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) No.

TTC #2
    BFP 3/28/16 (EDD 12/9/16) * Chemical pregnancy
    ME: 40 yrs.old
    DH: 41 yrs.old
    DD: 5 yrs.

• - Leave your baby inside your house while you go outside to check the mail Seeing as I live in an apartment and the mailboxes are not right outside my door like they are in a house, no.

- Leave your baby in your apartment to go to the next-door apartment (assume it's a big apartment complex)?no

- Leave your baby in your house as you work in the yard (again, assume the monitor works and that you're doing quiet gardening and not something loud like mowing)?I don't live where I could garden. But I probably wouldn't with LO being this young - maybe when she's older and had a definite nap schedule

- Leave your baby inside to run to the neighbor's house to borrow a cup of sugar or for some other quick errand (assume the baby monitor works that far) negative

- Leave your baby in the car while you pump your gas while I pump gas, yes. When I have to run inside to pay for gas, no.

- Leave your baby in the car while you pick up your dry cleaning no

- Leave your one month old baby lying on the couch while you grab a glass of water from the kitchen I have done this but when she is snug in her Boppy on the couch

-Leave your one month old baby on the changing table while you walk across the room to get something out of the closet?I'm not gonna lie, I have done this multiple times. But now that she wiggles and scooches around I don't

- Let your baby fuss (but not cry) for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) heck yes. And most of the time I let her fuss she does go back to sleep

-Let your baby actually cry for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) nope, when she goes velociraptor on us I instantly pick her up

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

June Siggy: Fave pic of Aubrey and me :)

• - Leave your baby inside your house while you go outside to check the mail  No.  My mailbox is a 1/4 mile away, though.

- Leave your baby in your apartment to go to the next-door apartment (assume it's a big apartment complex)  No

- Leave your baby in your house as you work in the yard (again, assume the monitor works and that you're doing quiet gardening and not something loud like mowing) Maaaybe...

- Leave your baby inside to run to the neighbor's house to borrow a cup of sugar or for some other quick errand (assume the baby monitor works that far) No

- Leave your baby in the car while you pump your gas Yes

- Leave your baby in the car while you pick up your dry cleaning No

- Leave your one month old baby lying on the couch while you grab a glass of water from the kitchen  Yes.

- Leave your one month old baby on the changing table while you walk across the room to get something out of the closet Yes. 

- Let your baby fuss (but not cry) for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) Yes.  It usually takes that long for me to become conscious anyhow.  Sometimes he goes back to sleep before I can rouse myself.

-  Let your baby actually cry for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) Not so much. 

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • GHBEAGHBEA member
    - Leave your baby inside your house while you go outside to check the mail yes - Leave your baby in your apartment to go to the next-door apartment (assume it's a big apartment complex) no - Leave your baby in your house as you work in the yard (again, assume the monitor works and that you're doing quiet gardening and not something loud like mowing) yes  - Leave your baby inside to run to the neighbor's house to borrow a cup of sugar or for some other quick errand (assume the baby monitor works that far)  no country living doesn't allow this and I wouldn't do this any way - Leave your baby in the car while you pump your gas  yes - Leave your baby in the car while you pick up your dry cleaning no - Leave your one month old baby lying on the couch while you grab a glass of water from the kitchen I did when she was first born but not any more - Leave your one month old baby on the changing table while you walk across the room to get something out of the closet  no - Let your baby fuss (but not cry) for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) as soon as I hear her I check on her. -  Let your baby actually cry for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO)  no
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • BLM10BLM10 member
    Assuming you are alone and can swipe a card at the pump, why in the world would anyone take the baby out of the car to pump gas and expose them to the fumes and have to juggle the pump and the kid? Leaving baby in the car while I pump gas is the only one of these I can say Yes to.
  • - Leave your baby inside your house while you go outside to check the mail. Probably not. There's nothing I need to get from the mailbox so quickly that it couldn't wait for my husband to get home. I wouldn't consider this neglectful, though. Wink

- Leave your baby in your apartment to go to the next-door apartment (assume it's a big apartment complex)  N/A as I live in a house.

- Leave your baby in your house as you work in the yard (again, assume the monitor works and that you're doing quiet gardening and not something loud like mowing) I would *never* be gardening, but let's say I was sitting on the back patio chatting with DH or a friend with the monitor next to me. I would do that if baby was in her crib.

- Leave your baby inside to run to the neighbor's house to borrow a cup of sugar or for some other quick errand (assume the baby monitor works that far). Probably not. If I needed something desperately, I would call them and ask them to come to me.

- Leave your baby in the car while you pump your gas. Yes.

- Leave your baby in the car while you pick up your dry cleaning. No.

- Leave your one month old baby lying on the couch while you grab a glass of water from the kitchen. No.

- Leave your one month old baby on the changing table while you walk across the room to get something out of the closet. Rarely have I done this, but when I have, there are straps attached to the table to strap her in, kind of like a seat belt.

- Let your baby fuss (but not cry) for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO)  Fuss a little bit, yes. Not sure I'd go 5 full minutes, but maybe..

-  Let your baby actually cry for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO). No.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• nypdrwjnypdrwj member
    imageSushiNoMore:
    So, I'm kind of bored tonight, so I thought I'd put together this poll to see what everyone's opinions are on some things.  Obviously, "neglectful" is meant to be tongue-in--cheek.  Specifically, which of these things would you do?

- Leave your baby inside your house while you go outside to check the mail yes

- Leave your baby in your apartment to go to the next-door apartment (assume it's a big apartment complex) no

- Leave your baby in your house as you work in the yard (again, assume the monitor works and that you're doing quiet gardening and not something loud like mowing) yes

- Leave your baby inside to run to the neighbor's house to borrow a cup of sugar or for some other quick errand (assume the baby monitor works that far) no

yes
    - Leave your baby in the car while you pick up your dry cleaning yes if the parking spot was right in front and no line

- Leave your one month old baby lying on the couch while you grab a glass of water from the kitchen yes until he learns to roll or moves around a lot

- Leave your one month old baby on the changing table while you walk across the room to get something out of the closet yes until more active

- Let your baby fuss (but not cry) for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) yes

-  Let your baby actually cry for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) no

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageSushiNoMore:

- Leave your baby inside your house while you go outside to check the mail
     Yes
    - Leave your baby in your apartment to go to the next-door apartment (assume it's a big apartment complex) 
     Maybe to the door next door but not in the apartment.
    - Leave your baby in your house as you work in the yard (again, assume the monitor works and that you're doing quiet gardening and not something loud like mowing) 
     Yes, while the baby sleeps I play in the yard with DS1 all the time.
     Yes because my neighbor is very close - our lots are long and narrow.
     I'm from NJ and I've never pumped my own gas - I don't even know how to do it.
    - Leave your baby in the car while you pick up your dry cleaning
     No
    - Leave your one month old baby lying on the couch while you grab a glass of water from the kitchen
     Yes
    - Leave your one month old baby on the changing table while you walk across the room to get something out of the closet 
     No
    - Let your baby fuss (but not cry) for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO)
     Are you watching me at night with my fingers crossed?  :)  Lots of times DS will fuss for no good reason.
    -  Let your baby actually cry for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO)
    No, he would be too worked up and wake himself up and probably wake up his brother too. He gets all sorts of sweaty when cries a lot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • - Leave your baby inside your house while you go outside to check the mail yes

- Leave your baby in your apartment to go to the next-door apartment (assume it's a big apartment complex) no

- Leave your baby in your house as you work in the yard (again, assume the monitor works and that you're doing quiet gardening and not something loud like mowing) no

- Leave your baby inside to run to the neighbor's house to borrow a cup of sugar or for some other quick errand (assume the baby monitor works that far) no

- Leave your baby in the car while you pump your gas yes

- Leave your baby in the car while you pick up your dry cleaning no

- Leave your one month old baby lying on the couch while you grab a glass of water from the kitchen no

- Leave your one month old baby on the changing table while you walk across the room to get something out of the closet yes but only because it has raised edges

- Let your baby fuss (but not cry) for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) yes

-  Let your baby actually cry for 5 minutes in the middle of the night while crossing your fingers and hoping he / she goes back to sleep (assume he / she is too young for true CIO) no

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"