May 2011 Moms

A strange question for those who had a tear or an episiotomy

What happened if you had hair down there? I usually shave but I can't see anything and the last time I tried I cut the crap out of myself. I guess I am wondering if it is worth having DH do it for me, which most likely will also end up with me being cut somewhere but probably less than if I were to attempt it myself.

I am not worried or embarrassed about what the midwives and doctors will think, I am just wondering how they stitch you up. Do they shave the area first? Should I just get it taken care of beforehand?

Re: A strange question for those who had a tear or an episiotomy

• I think in general the area where you would have an episiotomy or tear (the perineum) is hairless?  IDK for sure, but I didn't take any special shaving precautions before having DS, I had an episiotomy and they didn't have to shave me down there before stitching me up. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would definitely not shave.  If you tear or have an episiotomy you won't be able to shave for a while and the discomfort of hair growing in on top of the discomfort of a tear/episiotomy would really suck.
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • imagerobbie3982:
    I would definitely not shave.  If you tear or have an episiotomy you won't be able to shave for a while and the discomfort of hair growing in on top of the discomfort of a tear/episiotomy would really suck.

That's what I was thinking. Also I don't think the perineum grows hair, but I'm not sure. I can't see down there either!

imageimage
  • I did not shave prior and had to get one stitch. OB had no problem with hair being in the way. 

I would not let DH get anywhere near my vag with anything sharp. LOL.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAshbow171:

I did not shave prior and had to get one stitch. OB had no problem with hair being in the way. 

I would not let DH get anywhere near my vag with anything sharp. LOL.

Yes 

imageimage
  • I shaved the entire time I was pregnant.  Just did it blind.  But where I tore isn't even where hair grows.  It was more of superficial tear on my labia.  Not too bad.  A couple of stitches and isn't affected by hair growing back at all. 
  • Hair is no problem for the stitches. I've got a 3rd degree healing nicely down there, and I hadn't been able to trim for a few weeks before the baby showed up. I really sure don't care now - no one but my doctor is getting anywhere near me with my panties off for over another month.

For the record, calendula cream (from a health food store) seems to have helped me heal faster. I'm feeling pretty okay, considering, and am even starting to be able to sit a bit less carefully.

• jeffraejeffrae member
    well....I usually am well groomed....but once that tummy got in my way....nope.  The OB sewed without doing anything.  I would leave it be.....being sore from birth and itchy from hair growing back in does not sound fun to me.
  • Do nothing, just what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the insight ladies.
  • I wouldn't feel bad for not shaving..that being said..i did shave before I had grady and was just very very careful. I had a 2nd degree with him and like robbie said you won't be shaving after anyways bc of the tear/snip. I tore straight down but you can tear anyplace just depends on where your skin is stretched or more weak. I wouldn't worry. I wasn't freshly shaved with alayna but I didn't tear either...and honestly didn't really care. try not to worry too much  :)
  • they can do it for you
  • I just happened to shave the day before I delieverd and had a tear and 2nd degree episiotomy and so far so good as far as healing. I am glad I did because it does make things easier to clean up!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"