August 2011 Moms
Options

blue cheese

Anyone else totally craving blue cheese dressing / crumbles? My mom craved and ate it the entire time she was pregnant with my sister and she turned out fine. How high are the risks of getting listeria? Sorry ranch, you just are making the grade. :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: blue cheese

• Options
    The blue cheese you find at the average grocery store has been pasturized, eliminating the risk of listeria.  Unless you're finding exotic blue cheese from specialty markets where they import unpasturized cheese, eat away.  Even if it's unpasturized the risk of listeria is extremely, extremely low. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As pp have stated just look for cheeses that are pasteurized. I have noticed that you can very easily find raw milk cheeses in mainstream grocery stores though. When I was shopping for Gruy?re at Trader Joe's they only had one brand that was pasteurized and honestly it was not good at all! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LOVE bleu cheese dressing and crumbles. I did not realize that we could have the pasturized kind... I may have to head to the store. I miss it so much. You are on the mark when you say Ranch isnt doing it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jess!cajess!ca member
    Yes, my Dr said any cheese that is pasturized is ok.  Which is a good thing!  I love blue cheese, and feta too.  I really do miss some of my specialty shop cheeses, especially the extra gooey stinky ones!  But its worth giving it up for a while!  :)
  • Options
    Blue cheese dressing is my absolute favorite! I get it anytime I order a salad - my boys are totally fine :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I am sure some would be mortified, but I eat blue cheese dressing and crumbles about 2-3 times a week on some weeks.  It's pasteurized, not "raw".  I've been doing this since the second trimester.  Oh, and same with feta.  I don't eat that as often, but I will eat pasteurized feta.

I guess it really just depends on what your comfort level with the risk is.  I know 100% what I am eating is pasteurized, so I feel comfortable with that.

image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    eesomeeesome member
    imageJamieJeanS:

I am sure some would be mortified, but I eat blue cheese dressing and crumbles about 2-3 times a week on some weeks.  It's pasteurized, not "raw".  I've been doing this since the second trimester.  Oh, and same with feta.  I don't eat that as often, but I will eat pasteurized feta.

Yep. Same here! I especially love Wendy's BLT salad with blue cheese crumbles. YUM! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"