June 2011 Moms
Options

Prenatal massage and pressure points to help trigger labor

Anyone going in for prenatal massages right now?  My massage therapist told me awhile back that when I get to the full term mark she could start working pressure points to help trigger labor. I have an appt tonight after work and another one set up for next week. Why am I nervous to have her work these pressure points?! Part of me wants to have her start tonight, but then again I feel like I should hold off and let my body do it on it's own. I have my 37 week Dr appt on Monday, so I close to full term. I am not too terribly uncomfortable but I will say that the whole pressure point thing sounds appealing!!!!

Re: Prenatal massage and pressure points to help trigger labor

• Options
    I feel you!  I was just checking out natural ways to induce labor on a separate tab and I am 'less' pregnant than you.  You are close enough, but if your body isn't ready it won't likely work anyway.  Have fun!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I work in a spa. If I do get off BR next week I am getting a massage and have had a few in the weeks before bed rest.

Technically they are not supposed to touch the pressure points during pregnancy but some will. I think I'll have her avoid mine since I will still be a few days before 37 weeks.

The therapists at my job fully believe in this....they are around the feet/ankle area.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I hope it works for you (if you want it to)! I've had lots of friends with no luck with this - especially one that was 2 weeks overdue. I wanted to avoid those pressure points at my last prenatal massage (too early) and my therapist said they are like needle-point spots on your body and they have to be massaged just right with just the right amount of pressure - so very difficult to actually do! But, maybe your therapist is a whiz at this :)

If you aren't through 37 weeks by Monday, remember you are still considered "late pre-term" if you go into labor. Not a huge risk, I know, but as close as that baby gets to 40 weeks is definitely better (see link below)! Good luck!

https://www.marchofdimes.com/mission/prematurity.html#

• Options
    When I worked in a salon a few years back, one of my co-workers was pregnant and after work, like twice a week, she would get a foot massage and after the 3rd or 4th one, she ended up in labor the next morning.  It could be coincidence, but it could also be worth a try.  If anything, it's relaxing, so if you're ready and she's willing, then I say go for it.
  • Options

I had a prenatal massage a week or so ago & the therapist was very much into natural childbirth & massage. She said she'd avoid the pressure points on my ankles & also said there is one in b/t the web of your thumb & forefinger. She said the hand one would DEFINITELY start contractions. She said once I'm in labor to massage it numerous times to help w/labor. She also mentioned that your jaw & pelvis are connected (so the massage community believes, she says) & in order to relax your pelvis during labor to not clench your teeth/jaw.

I'll be 36 weeks tomorrow & i plan on trying to go for a prenatal massage every week until my due date. I'll probably have them avoid the pressure points until around 39 weeks though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wouldn't rush labor. I think things should happen on their own. And remember, they consider full term to be between 38-42 weeks because ovulation and cycles vary per individual. So while you could be at 38 weeks per the normal calculations, there's a chance that you are really closer to 36 and that would be too soon. If you want to start encouraging labor, wait until the end of 39/ start of 40 weeks so you know that you'll be okay and the baby will be okay.

But definitely go for the massage! I just wouldn't rush labor and accept that you don't have as much control as you'd like to have.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"